The Lost Boys | Teen Ink

The Lost Boys

August 4, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 The Lost Boys is a classic horror mystery that is just perfect for teenagers. The movie revolves around a family that consists of brothers Michael and Sam who move with their mother to a coastal city in California, Santa Clara, to go live with their grandfather there after their parents get divorced. While in Santa Clara, both brothers soon discover that their new home town in Northern California is known as the murder capital of the world. Despite this, Sam soon adjusts quite quickly to the area and makes two friends in Edward and Alan, who are two brothers that practically run a comic book store, which appeals to Sam's interest in superheroes. However, Michael quickly falls for a mysterious girl named Star. In an attempt to get closer to Star, he soon begins to hangout with a group of strange motorcycle punks, because Star seems to have a connection to the group's leader, David. While Michael follows the gang, a bunch of odd events happen, including Michael beginning to hallucinate and experience things that he know can't be true. Albeit, things quickly take a sour turn when Michael soon discovers that he is starting to transform into a vampire and that David is actually a vampire that leads the other vampires that make up his gang. As he learns this, it becomes clear that Michael needs help, so Sam, Edward, and Alan all agree to put their knowledge to the test as they attempt to save Michael, Star and themselves from being attacked from vampires and becoming ones as well. In the process, they unravel the mysterious clues surrounding them to realize that they are practically going to war against the undead and that there is a reason why Santa Clara has become the murder capital of the world. 
 The Lost Boys proves to be an adventurous roller coaster that will be sure to please with its natural charm and ability to immerse audiences in its world of horror and the undead. Ferociously engaging, the movie manages to make viewers crawl to the edges of their seats in anticipation for what comes next in this wildly entertaining tale. Combined with all of the drama and intensity that the movie so effectively conjures, watchers are able to be transported into this intriguing movie universe that utilizes the best elements of mystery and horror to create a thriller that does its job and then some. Benefited by scores of epic twists and turns, audiences can never truly predict or expect what comes next, and nearly all of the surprises are genuine shockers that will be sure to reinvent how viewers think about the characters in the movie. 
 

While The Lost Boys does have plenty of horror elements infused throughout, the movie also possesses a light tone that ensures that the movie never becomes overly dark or serious. The movie has plenty of jokes and comedic aspects to make the movie both scary and hilarious, often at the same time. This only adds to the entertainment factor of the movie and makes watching the movie that much more enjoyable for viewers of all ages. Rather than being too grim, the film manages to poke fun at itself at times and have fun in the process. 

 The Lost Boys has the rare ability to be enjoyed by both viewers and critics alike. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a high 74%, which is actually pretty impressive, and an outstanding 91% of Google users liked the movie, solidifying the concept that the movie is a good fit for a wide variety of audiences. 

 The Lost Boys has it all with drama, adventure, mystery and thrills galore. There's a stellar story, a talented cast and an awesome concept fueling the whole movie that ensures that it's impossible for the movie to fail, which it surely doesn't. The movie is a triumphant hit more often than not and is certainly a mystery worth diving into. 


The author's comments:

"One thing about living in Santa Carla I never could stomach, all the damn vampires." - Grandpa