Ant-Man | Teen Ink

Ant-Man

July 3, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Ant-Man proves to be a family friendly adventure that highlights a superhero that manages to be mighty, despite his ability to decrease in size. Because Dr. Hank Pym has just been forced out of his own company by the ruthless Darren Cross, who Hank had taken under his wing and has plans to create a suit that has the ability to miniaturize its user, Dr. Pym decides to enlist help from one of the best thieves in the entire world in Scott Lang, who has just recently been released from prison. Scott knows how to use science and technology to his advantage when it comes to being a thief, and despite how he wants to become clean after his release from prison, one of his old friends tells him that they have an opportunity to steal from a wealthy man who isn't going to be home. Before he knows what hits him, Scott Lang is back to being a thief, and although he doesn't put everything together at first, he ends up stealing from Dr. Hank Pym and going back to prison. While in prison, Dr. Pym sends a group of ants to deliver a suit to Lang, which is what he attempted to steal, and Scott Lang soon uses the suit to shrink in size and eventually meets Hank in person. Hank then enlists Scott Lang, while explaining how this was all a part of his plan, and convinces Scott to become Ant-Man with the usage of Dr. Pym's suit, which allows Scott to become miniature in size and, like the name suggests, become the size of an ant while having an increase in strength. After receiving some training from Hank and learning how to control an entire army's worth of ants, Scott Lang is finally able to become the superhero that Dr. Pym wants him to transform into, and with his new abilities, Scott has the opportunity to stop Darren Cross from developing the technology to develop a suit of his own that would also allow him to shrink in size. As Ant-Man, Scott Lang must try to stop Cross, who also goes by Yellowjacket, which he refers to his suit as, from perfecting the technology and creating an entire army of men in these suits and using the technology for his own selfish purposes of evil. As Ant-Man attempts to defy the odds and stop Yellowjacket from transforming the technology into the ultimate weapon, he tries to become a better person and the superhero he was always meant to be. 


 Ant-Man proves to be a lighthearted, fun and creative adventure that is high-spirited and enjoyable from start to finish. The beginning of the movie seamlessly introduces audiences to Scott Lang, which is crucial, considering that the movie centers around the thief in his attempt to transform his life around and become a superhero. The middle of the movie marvelously progresses the plot along and presents new and exciting obstacles for Scott Lang, both as a person and as Ant-Man, which allows the plot of the movie to be jam-packed with character development that help to shape Scott Lang for the long run. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be both exhilarating and well-executed and manages to take advantage of all of the drama and suspense that is so effectively conjured up through the rest of the movie in an action-packed final battle that manages to be everything and then some that viewers and fans could have possibly hoped for. 
 

Ant-Man has a star-studded cast that shines more often than not. Paul Rudd is simply stupendous as both Scott Lang and Ant-Man and manages to bring emotion and passion to the role. Michael Douglas gives a fantastic portrayal of Hank Pym and manages to serve as a great contrast to Paul Rudd's cheery and fun Scott Lang with his grounded and serious role. Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas form an amazing acting duo that will be sure to please, and their on-screen chemistry is glaringly terrific throughout the adventure. There are some other notable roles, like Evangeline Lilly's Hope Pym, but Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas steal the spotlight and rightfully so, because they are truly stars. 

 Ant-Man manages to be enjoyed by both viewers and critics alike. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 82%, which is fairly high, considering that critics tend to be fairly harsh with superhero movies, and an outstanding 94% of Google users liked the movie, solidifying the concept that the movie is great for a wide variety of audiences. 

Ant-Man manages to triumphantly portay Ant-Man as a superhero and does the character's long comic book history justice. The movie will proudly surpass any and all expectations, and not only should it be seen by just about anyone and everyone, it also makes the audience wish to be able to shrink in size as well. The movie transcends how audiences think about how big things come in small packages, and that alone justifies the movie becoming an absolute must-see. 


The author's comments:

"Second chances don't come around all that often. I suggest you take a really close look at it. This is your chance to earn that look in your daughter's eyes, to become the hero that she already thinks you are." - Dr. Hank Pym