Baby Driver | Teen Ink

Baby Driver

June 22, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 Baby Driver is a movie revolving around a protagonist named Baby, and he's a fantastic driver. In fact, he's one of the best drivers that anybody has ever seen. Because he got into trouble with the wrong people at the wrong time, he's forced to be a getaway driver for the wrong people. However, before all of that, Baby is an orphan who lost his parents in a car accident. After the car accident, he gained a humming sound in his ears that he drowns out by playing music in his ears. Because of this, he loves music and has the perfect sound track for everything that he does. He hopes to one day be done with all of the driving for dirty money, but that's much easier said than done. When a girl named Debbie gets involved, the person who he owes money, Doc, gains leverage over Baby, and tries to ruin his dream of riding off in the sunset with her. As Baby must struggle with his internal conflicts, he must also deal with fixing the problems of his past to ensure that he can have, at the very least, a happier future. 

 Baby Driver greatly benefits from some awesome music that goes along with it. The soundtrack of the movie is superb and fits the movie perfectly, because the protagonist loves to listen to music, creating a match made in heaven. Music is always an integral part of films and is able to influence how audiences feel about certain characters. For example, everyone knows to associate suspenseful music with sharks and villains, and these associations work wonders for the film. Because of the great implementation of music, the movie is able to flow from start to finish and become a truly entertaining adventure to behold. 

 Baby Driver manages to boast a star-studded cast that isn't one to be messed with. Kevin Spacey plays Doc, a bad guy, and this role makes sense, since he's famous for playing the bad guy. Jamie Foxx also does a spectacular job of portraying Bats and is able to bring the crazy character to life. Ansel Elgort does a marvelous job of portraying Baby, and as the star of the movie, his role is vital to the outcome, and he certainly delivers. Jon Hamm does a magnificent job of playing Buddy, and not only does he bring emotion, passion, and intensity to the character, but he also helps to make the character multi-dimensional and allows the character to become one of the most relatable in the entire movie. 
 Baby Driver has the rare ability to say that it is beloved by both critics and viewers alike. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an outstanding 93% from Rotten Tomatoes, and a whopping 92% of Google users liked the movie, helping to demonstrate that this movie is indeed a great fit for a wide variety of audiences. 

 Baby Driver is fun, original, and truly something special, because there aren't many movies out there quite like this one. The movie has double-crossers, twists, crime, and everything that a good thriller needs. Although the ending starts to utilize some typical stereotypes, like how the good guy is trying to ride off into the sunset, when Baby is driving the car, the movie is fast-paced and truly one-of-a kind, especially because of the astounding music that goes along with it, and luckily for the movie, the movie spends a fair amount of time focusing on Baby driving. Baby Driver is a special movie that is beyond unique and deserves to be seen by just about anyone and everyone, since it will surpass any and all expectations. 


The author's comments:

"If I drive for you, you give me a time and a place. I give you a five-minute window, anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours no matter what." - Driver