Waiting... | Teen Ink

Waiting...

June 5, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Waiting... is a comedy that revolves around what life is like for a bunch of employees at a restaurant named Shenanigans. The entire movie takes place during a single day, and during the day, a new employee is showed the ins and outs, the bad parts, the very few good parts, and what it's like to work at Shenanigans. A waiter, Dean, must decide what he wants to do with his life when he's confronted with the choice of becoming Assistant Manager or attempting to achieve something better. The same waiter showing the new employee the place, Monty, must figure out who he wants to be as he attempts to fight temptation with doing something that he knows he shouldn't, and yet, he still can't seem to prevent himself from making the same mistake that he has done so many times. Meanwhile, the cooks fool around and mess up food when they want, bus boys try to act thug-like, a waiter tries to overcome his problems going to the bathroom, and an angry waitress continues to lose her cool at the restaurant to create an adventure that truly demonstrates the crazy life of working in a restaurant. 
 Waiting... is hilarious throughout and has tons of comical moments. Although parts of the movie are inappropriate for some, the movie is fun and entertaining throughout. The cast of the movie does a fairly good job of playing their roles, and not only does the cast give well done performances, it also appears like the cast has a great time portraying their roles. In particular, Ryan Reynolds is nothing short of superb as Monty, who is one of the waiters working at the restaurant. Laugh-out-loud funny from start to finish, his character truly is one of the most entertaining and enjoyable characters to behold and is certainly a fan-favorite. Equipped with outstanding one-liners and comedic aspects, the character is without a doubt one of the movie's strongest, and this is absolutely because of Reynolds' fantastic performance. He brings emotion to the character and a sense of reliability that ensures that viewers of all shapes and sizes will be able to find at least one moment that involves Monty that they can relate to. There are some other strong performances, like Justin Long's Dean, who happens to be another waiter, but Ryan Reynolds steals the show and then some, placing himself into the spotlight and giving himself the opportunity to stand out for his clever and witty comedy. 

 Waiting... may not be the type of movie that most would expect to have a cohesive story, but in an unorthodox fashion, the movie manages to do exactly that. The beginning of the movie is fairly standard, but it does a great job of introducing audiences to all of the characters and introducing concepts that get elaborated on further along in the story. Even though the middle of the movie is slightly lackluster in some parts and does feel a little excessive and stretched out at times, the conclusion of the movie more than makes up for that. The enticing ending of the movie is arguably the best part for good reason. Not only does it end the movie fairly well by tying up all loose knots and bringing nearly all of the character arcs to a smart end, it also combines together with the beginning of the movie to smoothly bring everything together in unexpected manners. 

 Waiting... might be predicted by some to tell the tale of a movie that helps to inspire others to want to become cooks and restaurant owners to take part in the adventurous restaurant life, but this is simply not the case. After watching this movie, most are probably not going to want to become waiters and waitresses, and if they do, it is more than a little peculiar. Not only does the movie depict Shenanigans as one of the worst places to work and eat at, but all of the pranks and jokes that take place at the restaurant by its employees to its customers should be more than enough to sway most, if not all, viewers.

 Waiting... didn't win any awards and might be considered by some as a dumb comedy, but the movie has the unique ability of being both a comedy and an indie film that showcases what it's like to work in a restaurant in a fun manner, which is something that helps it to stand out from the crowd. 


The author's comments:

"So, when things in your life become stagnant - you know, you're no longer happy with what you're doing - then you figure out what's important to you." - Bishop