Sausage Party | Teen Ink

Sausage Party

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Sausage Party is an animated movie about personified food in a supermarket. The different foods communicate with each other and live happily with each other. All of the foods believe in the will of the gods, which is basically humans, and hope that they will someday reach the great beyond by leaving the store. If the foods don't get picked, their greatest fear will be made a reality, and the leftover foods will be thrown out, because they've expired. However, when the protagonist, Frank, a sausage, and his love get thrown into a horrible situation, they soon learn that the great beyond is nothing like they expected. The great beyond torture. As soon as Frank learns about the horrible reality, he decides to start talking to his pals and begins to warn them about their awful fate. The panicked perishables then decide to work together and devise a plan that will save their lives by allowing them to stand up to their new enemies in the humans. 

Sausage Party manages to include tons of symbolism and plays with stereotypes to its advantage to create clever jokes that prove to work for both simple humor and on a much deeper, political level. The movie is witty, comical, and adds a different element to the typical supermarket atmosphere. The entire film is amusing and is a nice blend of humor and heartfelt substance. The voices of the characters are all good fits, and because most of the actors and actresses are best known for their works in comedies, it's a perfect match. Seth Rogen is just tremendous as Frank and is able to bring much needed emotion into the movie to ensure that it just doesn't fall into a pit of crude silliness. Jonah Hill does a fantastic job of being the voice of Carl and is able to demonstrate a multi-layered character. 

As an animated movie, it shouldn't be that surprising that Sausage Party greatly benefits from some truly noteworthy visuals. The amazingly vivid visual effects of the movie prove to be quite mesmerizing and are able to capture everything and then some that the creators could have possibly wanted to include for their talking foods. The spectacular special effects of the movie manage to include plenty of action scenes, as well as plenty of gore to truly demonstrate why and how the various foods fear humans for the savage beasts that they are when it comes to eating. Without the visuals, the movie probably wouldn't have been able to succeed on any level, but luckily for the movie, this isn't a worry. 

Sausage Party has the rare ability to say that it is a comedy that critics actually enjoyed more than viewers, which is beyond bewildering. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 82%, which is made even more astounding by the fact that Rotten Tomatoes is known to give generally lower scores to comedies. However, a measly 68% of Google users liked the movie, which is just dreadful. It is unclear why some viewers seemed to show some apparent dislike for the movie, but the fact that critics thought so highly of the movie should be enough to sway potential viewers in at least watching the movie so that they can formulate their own opinions on the movie. 

Sausage Party may be a movie that is mostly known for being a comedy, but parts of the movie actually talk about religion and faith in a smart, untraditional way. Because there is a fair amount of dirty references, this movie is definitely not kid or family friendly and should only be seen for mature audiences. However, for those who are eligible, Sausage Party is an original, fun movie that is a lot smarter than most people believe and will hopefully surpass expectations. 

"So you have learned the terrible truth." - Guacamole