Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates | Teen Ink

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is a drama revolving around two brothers named Mike and Dave. They're both on the younger side, adventurous, and are known for loving parties. However, they tend to get out of hand at most family gatherings and don't seem to know their own limits. In fact, although they think they are always the heart of the party, in reality, they are the main cause for party disasters. Whereas they think they're impressing everybody with fireworks, they are actually destroying property and putting others in danger. Because of their past record, their immediate family gathers them together to inform them about their sister's upcoming wedding, along with their sister and her fiancé. Their sister, Jeanie, reveals that she is going to have a destination wedding in Hawaii, and because of Mike and Dave's history of getting into trouble, they tell the duo that they have to bring two dates to the wedding. Everyone wants Dave and Mike to bring two nice respectable women. Because the two of them don't know where to look, they decide to post an ad on Craigslist, informing people about how they are just two people looking to bring two people to Hawaii for a wedding, except they make it seem like an elaborate vacation. Due to the fact that the ad makes the trip seem super appealing, it gathers a ton of attention, and before they can figure out what they have done, Dave and Mike soon receive more people asking to be brought along on the trip than they can count. Dave and Mike eventually pick two women in Tatiana and Alice, whom both seem like charming, smart, kind individuals. However, Dave and Mike don't know that the two of them are crazy partiers that are nothing like they described. Mike and Dave soon realize that they may have brought a gigantic mess with them to Hawaii, and they have no idea how to fix it. 

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates proves to be a fairly generic romantic comedy that has a that plot isn't the greatest, but there is a fair amount of humor. The beginning of the movie is fairly strong and helps to introduce audiences to Mike and Dave and their relationship with one another. The middle of the movie does a satisfactory job of progressing things along and presents new, creative obstacles for all of the main characters. The ending of the movie is one of the weaker portions of the movie and just manages to be a jumble of predictability, redundancy, and noncreative scenes. Even though the actual conclusion of the movie is far from being the greatest, this doesn't change the fact that there are moments of greatness dispersed throughout the entirety of the movie. 

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates may not revolutionize the genre, but there are a few scenes in particular that are still able to shine. There's one scene that involves Mike driving an ATV and accidentally running over his sister slightly and is just as hilarious as it sounds. Even though there are some highlights, in a way, the ending of the movie almost ruins the movie. The ending of a comedy is usually predictable, so the predictability of this one isn't that big of a downside, but the fact that the conclusion doesn't really have any heartwarming moments or any real moments where audiences truly feel for the characters is notable. None of the characters really become that compelling or capable of making viewers feel an entire spectrum of emotions. Instead, the characters just provide laughs and entertainment, which isn't bad, but for some movie-goers, this is absolutely a negative component. 
 Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates is saved by a star-studded cast that helps to ensure that the movie doesn't become a horrific flop. Zac Efron does a spectacular job of portraying Dave, and his performance is crucial to the actual outcome of the movie. Adam Devine also does a superb job of transforming into Mike, and his character is one of the only ones that is actually able to cause audiences to root for him during certain parts. Their two performances help to combine together to create an amazing acting duo that conjures up humor, and it wouldn't be that outrageous for some to want to see the movie for the sole purpose of seeing them. Anna Kendrick has a pretty good portrayal of Alice, which is one of the girls that Mike and Dave bring as a date, and Aubrey Plaza does a great job of transforming into Tatiana, who is the other girl that Mike and Dave bring. 

Even though Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates seems to be capable of entertaining audiences, critics were extremely harsh with the movie. Rotten Tomatoes was relentless and gave the movie a poor 36%, and IMDb gave the movie a low 6/10. However, an impressive 89% of Google users liked the movie, helping to demonstrate that critics' opinions shouldn't have the largest impact on potential viewers. 

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates isn't the best fit for some, due to its incredibly mature content, but for those who like comedies with charismatic actors and actresses, this is one to watch. 

"We're about to do something awesome." - Mike