Despicable Me 3 | Teen Ink

Despicable Me 3

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Despicable Me 3 is the third movie in the Despicable Me franchise and continues the adventures of Gru and his minions. An evil villain named Balthazar Bratt, who is a former child acting star, is seeking revenge against the entire world, because he is still upset of how his show got canceled in the 1980s. In the show, Balthazar would act as a criminal and go on destructive missions, and it seems like Balthazar is beginning to act like he is still in the show, except this time he is actually causing real damage. Because of this, it is Gru's mission to stop him, since he works for the Anti-Villain League. However, after a failed attempt to stop him and the leadership of the league changes, Gru gets fired, and Lucy also gets fired, because she tries to stand up for Gru. This leads to the minions believing that they are going to go back to a life of crime alongside Gru. However, when Gru says that they have put that life behind them, the minions grow angry and decide to break off from the group, leaving Gru and setting out on their own. Meanwhile, an odd stranger informs Gru that he has a twin brother that he never knew about. Because Gru doesn't truly believe him, the stranger pulls out a photo of Gru with his mother along with another baby, saying that he thinks Gru should come to Freedonia to meet his brother, Dru. After meeting with his mother to discover that he really does have a twin brother, Gru takes Lucy and the kids to Freedonia, where they discover that the family business is a pig farm. While there, Dru and Gru discover that they are both incredibly similar, so much so that Dru wants to follow in Gru's footsteps to become a villain. This causes the duo to enter an uneasy alliance to take down Balthazar Bratt as villains and steal back the world's largest diamond, which Balthazar is in possession of. 
 Despicable Me 3 proves to be an entertaining adventure that is just pure fun. Even though this movie isn't quite on the same level as the first two, it still shines through with some of the same qualities that made the franchise so popular in the first place. The concept of the power of family is evident once more, and Gru's struggles to deal with the new life that he has created for himself showcases that emotional side of him that made him so popular in the original movie. However, despite how the minions do have strong moments, and the manner in which they reunite with Gru is lovable, the fact that they are separated from Gru for a large portion of time is slightly disappointing, simply because they are at their best when serving Gru. 

Despicable Me 3 manages to transform into a cohesive story that is high-spirited throughout. The beginning of the movie brilliantly jumpstarts the movie, transitioning from the second movie seamlessly, as well as manage to introduce the main villain of the movie. The middle of the movie is actually not one of the weaker portions of the movie, which is the case with many films, and this part actually contains some of the most enjoyable parts as Dru and Gru get used to one another, and essentially having double the amount of Gru is just as fast-paced and zany as it sounds. The ending of the movie manages to conclude the movie and tie back together with the beginning to make the entire adventure make sense. 

Despicable Me 3 is a comedy, and for such, there are some truly clever jokes dispersed throughout that make the watching experience truly enjoyable. For instance, there is a scene that involves Balthazar using a special weapon to blow off all of Gru's clothes, and this causes him to fly off into a building, smacking into a glass window, just as a group of people are celebrating a friend's birthday, creating a priceless moment. As a family friendly movie, the whole movie is perfect for the entire family and for anyone and everyone, regardless of age. 

Despicable Me 3 may not be quite as well done as the first two, but it still has its colorful, vibrant stars that ecstatically shine. The movie is at its best when it showcases its unique flare, and there is plenty of elated flare from start to finish. Much like Gru, this movie is advanced, complicated, and awesome to watch. For fans of the franchise, this is a must-see, and for others, this is still one to watch. 

"I miss the Minions!" - Gru