Good Will Hunting Review | Teen Ink

Good Will Hunting Review

By anickel6 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
anickel6 BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

The first time I watched Good Will Hunting, it wasn’t by choice. My mom and I had been on a kick of watching 80’s and 90’s movies, and one day she suggested a movie I hadn’t ever heard of. I really didn’t know what to expect. I looked up the movie and found out that Robin Williams was in it, so I expected something kind of cheesy and silly. However, by the time I finished the movie I had cried a total of three times. Every person who was cast as a role in Good Will Hunting was perfect. They all did an outstanding job playing their part, and made it seem very realistic.

The plot was interesting, but a little bit predictable. It was the same story you probably have heard thousands of times. A genius kid, who doesn’t take the time to apply himself, but is okay with it. Will seems to keep to himself except for when he goes out with his buddies. Their favorite thing to do is visit the local bars, and sometimes get in a few fights. One said fight ended with him in jail. Professor Lambeau from MIT comes to his rescue, he saw Will solve an incredibly difficult mystery math problem. The problem was left on the chalkboard for the professor’s students to solve, but Will surprised everyone by doing it secretly. He gives Will an ultimatum: stay in jail or come study at MIT with him and attend a weekly therapy session. As the movie goes on he has to fight his battle of getting over his personal problems so his intelligence can be used effectively, and maybe experience all that life has to offer.

What stood out most, was scenes between Will and his new therapist played by Robin WIlliams. There were a few monologues done by Williams that made you absolutely sob and feel so connected to his character. This is what makes the predictability of the plot seem forgivable—the outstanding script and the ability the cast has to make you feel so emotional.

Will doesn’t just learn from Williams. He learns from his girlfriend, Skylar (Minnie Driver) a lot too. She teaches him how it’s okay to feel again. Of course Will has his buddies, but they don’t require a lot of relationship skills. Skylar teaches him that he needs to open up to people if he ever wants to make himself truly happy. She shows him that if he actually applies himself he won’t have to just be the janitor anymore.

One more thing that seems overlooked when discussing Good Will Hunting is the meaning of the title itself. The main character’s name is Will Hunting, obviously. I think it’s so significant because you don’t really know who Will is at the beginning of the movie. He just seems like anyone you could find on the street, but by the end of the movie you find out he is so much more. You learn about every hard thing he has gone through in life, and how it made him the person he is today. You learn that he really does have a good heart, buried under all of the hardness he puts out in the beginning of the movie.

After finishing this movie, I really was blown away. I had such low expectations for the movie at first because I thought it would be so cliche. The plot really worked because of the way the characters portrayed themselves and really told the story. I think this movie is definitely a must see for every person. It makes you laugh, cry, and just think about your life in a different way.