The Internship | Teen Ink

The Internship

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

The Internship proves to be a charming drama that is both heartfelt and comedic throughout. Revolving around two older salesmen in Billy and Nick, the duo finds themselves in a tough situation when they are both getting downsized and lose their jobs. Because they have no idea what they should do next, they ultimately decide that they should take a risk and break the cycle of going from one sales gig to the next by getting a job of the future. This leads to them attempting to work for a large tech company, since they have both heard great things of the relaxed environment and how people get to wear sandals and comfortable clothing. They decide that working at Google will be ideal for them, despite how they lack knowledge in both computers and code, making it nearly impossible to secure a job at the massive technology firm. However, after they put their trickery and manipulation experience to the test, they manage to get online college degrees and sign up for an internship with Google. At this internship, all of the interns are divided into teams and then given various challenges, and whichever team group does the best is given jobs to work for the company. Naturally, no one wants to work with Billy and Nick once they head out to Silicon Valley, causing them to be placed into a team of outliers and misfits. However, the level of competitiveness at Google is off the charts, and it will take Billy and Nick completely going out of their comfort zones for the team in order to win, like playing Quidditch and learning code - something that they both know nothing about. As they attempt to complete challenging team tasks, the entire team begins to unite together as they learn more about each other and take in life lessons from Billy and Nick, while they all try to fulfill their dreams and secure a job at Google. 
 The Internship is a surprisingly entertaining comedy that is emotionally engaging throughout. Delicately balancing between heartwarming and hilarious, the movie is an emotional roller coaster that manages to capture audience's attentions while never letting go. With its eccentric portrayal of Google's work environment and lifestyle, this movie showcases an entirely fresh perspective on the modern work environment, while having some genuine fun in the process. Combining moments of wit with a well-written script, this is a story that deserves to be told, due to its capability of being able to revolutionize people's perceptions of what it is like to search for a job right out of college. As a modern movie dealing with modern problems, this movie does exactly what it sought out to do, in shedding some light on a fairly unexplored topic. 
 The Internship feels like a great story from start to finish with its end brilliantly coming together with its beginning to form a cohesive tale that should definitely touch a few hearts. The beginning of the movie seamlessly introduces audiences to Billy and Nick, which is crucial to the rest of the movie, seeing as they are the two main protagonists. Despite how the middle portion of a movie is typically considered one of the weakest parts, this isn't the case with this movie, because creative and original challenges are presented to the internship teams, making viewers want to work for Google as well. The enticing ending of the movie proves to be one of the most heartrending portions of the entire film and has a shocking twist at the end that helps to tie up all loose knots and reinvent how watchers view the characters on-screen. 
 As a comedy, The Internship needs to be witty and clever, and this is exactly what happens. There are plenty of great moments that come to mind, but one in particular is a team challenge that involves two different teams of interns playing Quidditch against one another, which is just as funny as it seems, since both Nick and Billy have no idea what they're doing. Also, there's a scene that involves Billy and Nick searching for Charles Xavier, because their team wants to get rid of them, due to how they feel they are deadweight, and when they end up finding a professor in a wheelchair and ask if he is Professor Xavier, they get surprised to find that he ends up punching them, since he thinks that he is getting made fun of due to how he is bald and in a wheelchair. 
 The Internship greatly benefits form a star-studded cast that manages to revel in their roles, causing viewers to have elated fun as well. Vince Vaughn exquisitely plays Billy, transforming into the character and bringing so much emotion along with it. Owen Wilson does a tremendous job of portraying Nick and proves to be one of the more enjoyable characters in the entire movie. Owen and Vince combine together to create an amazing acting duo for the ages that is reflective on-screen, because their characters are best friends, so the natural chemistry is nothing but a plus. Dylan O'Brien transforms into the complicated Stuart, who has one of the most notable transformations of any of the members of the intern team, and his character has a substantial amount of character development that creates a noteworthy arc for the character. 

The Internship proves to be a genuinely charming comedy that is awesome throughout. Not only does the movie manage to shed some light onto the difficulties that the youth of the world must deal with in obtaining jobs, but it is also humorous and has plenty of scenes that stand out for their extraordinariness in comedic properties. This movie will reinvent how people view internships and will truly cause audiences to feel with its heartwarming story that proves to be quite the inspiration for anybody and everybody of all ages. This is a must-see. 

"Here's the deal. I'm pretty terrific on the phones. I could sell prosciutto to a rabbi. And I have." - Billy McMahon