The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part | Teen Ink

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part

May 11, 2019
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part takes place directly after the original The Lego Movie and continues the adventures of Emmet. Emmet and all of his friends get attacked by LEGO DUPLO invaders who come from a foreign planet. These attackers are able to decimate life as Emmet knows it, and after they destroy seemingly everything in their path, everyone learns that life is going to change and that everything isn't always awesome. Five years pass by, and it seems like everyone has hardened, shaped by the difficulties of living in this completely new, harsher lifestyle, except for Emmet, who still believes that everything is and can be truly awesome. In order to try to restore the old way of life, Emmet, Lucy, Batman, and others decide that they must battle this new foreign enemy by traveling throughout the universe and going to their complex solar system to fight them on their own territory. Meanwhile, Emmet struggles with attempting to grow up and leave behind his old mentality of how to live life. As the group discovers unexplored worlds that hadn't even yet been thought of, everyone's personalities get challenged, as their creativity and courage are challenged, while wondering if everything can ever be awesome again. 
 The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part proves to be an entertaining adventure that once again entertains audiences with its LEGO universe and characters. Delicately balancing between comedy and heartfelt drama, this tale manages to reinvent these popular characters to make them more relatable, likable and prove why they have become fan-favorites in their own right. Staying true to the formula that was so successful and effective for the original, this movie brings forth another delightful movie that delivers a true message - one of friendship's power and how people shouldn't change for others. At the very core of this movie is a truly emotional center that brings energy and elation to the big screen.

 The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part may not be quite as well done as the original, which is nothing short of a masterpiece, but it still has a solid plot that combines with other strong qualities, like meaningful characters, genuine jokes, and twists galore, to create a dramatic roller coaster that shines with its imaginativeness and creativeness, similar to the toys that the movie is based off of. The beginning of the movie seamlessly transitions from the original, never missing a beat, as the characters are reintroduced and showcase exactly what they must deal with in these new, fresh problems. The middle of the movie isn't exactly the strongest portion of the movie, feeling slightly excessive in some areas and not that meaningful, but the enticing ending of the movie brings out the majestic elements of everyone, causing the exhilarating adventure to make sense, tie up all loose knots, and brilliantly change all of the characters for the better, simply by allowing their hearts to transform into the heart of the movie. This conclusion manages to include a few truly thrilling twists that completely catch audiences by surprise, completely changing their perceptions of the movie. 

 The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part benefits from a light tone that allows the movie to poke fun at itself and others, in a manner that is both hilarious and true entertainment. This combines together with how the movie is fueled by adrenaline and pleasant surprises to create a movie that is enjoyable throughout. Just like the original, this movie presents an engaging villain that allows the heroes to become stars, while also learning powerful messages that are conveyed with ease. However, despite how pleasant the movie is, it still isn't quite on the same level as the flawless original, although it comes close. 

 The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is an animated movie, and for such, it shouldn't be a large surprise that the visuals of the movie are noteworthy. The amazingly vivid visual effects of the movie form a super tandem with the spectacular special effects to make the movie feel like a series of works of arts, memorizing to the eye. Without these visuals, the movie wouldn't be able to accomplish nearly as much as it does, but luckily, everything the creators could have possibly intended to include are able to look the part and become effective. 

 The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part proves to be a satisfactory sequel that manages to continue the sagas of the legendary characters introduced in the original. While new ideas and concepts are added into this epic movie universe, the movie goes back to basics, simplifying the movie's best qualities to bring out the best in everybody. Even though this sequel isn't quite as extraordinary as the first, it still proves to be a fantastic adventure that will surpass any and all expectations. This second part is a must-see that proves to be just as notable as the first. 


The author's comments:

"Emmet, you’ve got to stop pretending everything is awesome. It isn’t. Every morning, you walk through town, singing that terrible, annoying, manufactured pop song!" - Lucy