Spider-Man 2 | Teen Ink

Spider-Man 2

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Spider-Man 2 is the sequel to the groundbreaking Spider-Man and doesn't disappoint as it continues the adventures of everyone's favorite webbed slinger. The movie revolves around Peter Parker once again, except this time, things aren't going so well for him. Peter must deal with a struggling social life and dating life, because his best friend, Harry Osborn, despises Spider-Man and blames him for the death of his father, and the true love of his life, Mary Jane Watson, has suddenly gotten engaged to another man. Because of all of this, Spider-Man soon faces a lowering ego and fading powers that only get worse with the addition of Dr. Octopus. Dr. Octopus is a deadly cyborg that possesses eight metal tentacles that prove to be just as fierce as they sound, and Dr. Octopus has a burning passion to hunt down Spider-Man, because he blames Spider-Man for the death of his wife. Dr. Octopus was originally Dr. Otto Octavius, but after a highly dangerous science experiment goes wrong, his wife dies from the experiment, leaving the now Dr. Octopus thirsty for revenge. All of this couples together to cause Peter Parker to wonder if he is really worthy of being Spider-Man and should even keep doing it to the point that Spider-Man may soon be a thing of the past. 

Spider-Man 2 manages to live up to the lofty expectations set for it, mostly because it combines together so many different qualities that were present in the original, but it elevates them to the next level. Loss is more present in this movie, as well as love and adventure, which all help to make Spider-Man more relatable and likable. Furthermore, the movie is packed to the brim with difficult choices that don't have any real options, which makes the movie both that much more realistic and have the ability to really allow viewers to see that Peter Parker truly just is an ordinary person with typical problems. The beginning of the movie manages to jumpstart the movie and seamlessly transition from the original into this sequel, as well as reintroduce audiences to the notable Peter Parker. The middle of the movie magnificently progresses the movie along and also presents new and exciting obstacles for Peter Parker to deal with that push him past his limit even more so. The exhilarating ending of the movie manages to take advantage of all of the intensity, drama, and suspense that is built up during the rest of the movie and also includes some epic battles between Spider-Man and Dr. Octopus, which is a must for all great superhero movies. Even though the movie doesn't have too many thrilling twists and turns, the ones that it does have are genuinely shocking and also prove to create some of the most defining moments in the entire movie. 

Spider-Man 2 was forced to come after the spectacular Spider-Man, which means that this movie had a lot to live up to. This movie needed to match one of the greatest superhero movies of all time with another equally great film. The movie does precisely that, and this adventure has it all. There's an awesome villain, a truly engaging superhero, and drama galore. Not only does Peter Parker changes as a person throughout the entirety of the movie, due to some pretty significant character development, but Spider-Man also transforms for the better. 
 Spider-Man 2 greatly benefits from a genuinely frightening villain. A fearsome villain is necessary to not only push the protagonist to his or her limit, but to also showcase an entirely new side of the hero. Dr. Octopus manages to invoke change in both Peter Parker and Spider-Man, because he is simply that terrific of a villain. Secondly, Dr. Octopus's cool powers allow there to be some amazing battles, including a few that take place on a train, which are just visually marvelous and quite the sight to behold. 

Spider-Man 2 has the rare ability to say that it is enjoyed by both critics and viewers equally. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an exceptionally high 93%, which is just such a remarkable mark, and an outstanding 94% of Google users liked the movie, demonstrating that the movie is a great fit for just about anyone and everyone, since such a wide variety of audiences found satisfaction with the film.

Spider-Man 2 manages to act as a sequel that surpasses any and all expectations as it topples over the original. The movie delicately balances between both Peter Parker's problems and Spider-Man's problems, which allows the movie to conjure a tremendous amount of drama and suspense. Not only does the movie have all of the key elements of a great one, but it also helps to revolutionize Spider-Man as a character. Just like the superhero it is based off of, this movie proves to be amazing. 

"We need a hero, couragous sacrificing people, setting examples for all of us. Everybody loves a hero, people line up for 'em, cheer for them, scream their names, and years later tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who told them to HOLD ON a second longer. I believe theres a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble. And finally gets us to die with pride. Even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want most, even our dreams." - Aunt May