Shazam! | Teen Ink

Shazam!

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Shazam! is a relentlessly amazing adventure that helps to not only turn around how people view DC, but it also creates one of the best DC movies in years. The movie revolves around an ordinary kid who gains superpowers and is able to become a cool superhero. However, before all of this happens, Billy Batson truly is just a typical kid with normal problems and lives in Philadelphia. As a foster kid going from foster home to foster home, Billy doesn't feel like he really belongs anywhere, causing him to search for his mother, who he has met but got separated from her and never saw her again, but he has never been able to quite do it. Despite how Billy doesn't really feel like he fits in at the newest foster home of his, he still manages to stand up for one of the other kids that is getting bullied, but this causes the bullies to chase after him, causing him to runaway to the subway. While there, peculiar events occur, including ice spreading all over the windows and everyone else on the subway magically disappearing, and when the subway finally stops moving and opens its doors, Billy walks out of the subway to discover this odd-looking setting that involves an old man sitting on this weird throne. This bearded man turns out to be a magical wizard that tells Billy that he is going to give him special powers in order to help rid the world of evil. Even though Billy is more than just a little skeptical at first, after putting both of his hands on the wizard's staff and saying the wizard's name, Billy is transformed into an adult version of himself that is wearing a white cape, a red suit, and has a large lightning bolt going through his chest. Billy also grows an immense amount and becomes nearly as muscular as Superman, making Billy discover that the wizard may actually have been right. This causes Billy, as an adult, to go back to the foster home and talk with one of the kids, Freddy, because Freddy is obsessed with superheroes, so if anyone can help Billy Batson through this mess, it is him. As Billy discovers that he has a wide array of superpowers, meaning that he has fulfilled a dream that just about every single kid wants, Billy revels in the concept of being a superhero and looking like an adult. However, Billy soon learns that being a superhero is so much more than just having fun and being a celebrity, because an evil man named Dr. Sivana has also gained magical powers and wants to use them to strip Billy of his, in order to become more powerful and take over the world. 

Shazam! manages to transform into a genuinely fun and entertaining movie that never ceases to amaze. The beginning of the movie jumpstarts the entire adventure, and not only is Billy Batson seamlessly introduced, but the villain of the movie is also introduced, allowing viewers to gain a better understanding of said villain, and the villain is also able to have a cause that is more understandable, which aids the movie an enormous amount further along in the story. The middle of the movie does a marvelous job of progressing things along, and not only does it jam-pack the movie with amazing scenes that showcase Billy learning his new powers as a superhero, but it clearly demonstrates why becoming a superhero is so many different people's dreams. The enticing ending of the movie might not be the most exhilarating or suspenseful, but it has a few truly brilliant twists that shock audiences to their very core. Not only does the excellent end have a few clever surprises, but the entire movie is littered with thrilling twists and turns that help to make the movie substantially more interesting. This allows the movie to become unpredictable, which is especially necessary in an origin story movie, like this one is. 

Shazam! does a superior job of providing an incredible change-of-pace to other superhero movies out there. Because the movie is intended for teenagers, especially considering that it revolves around one, it shouldn't be a big surprise that this movie is precisely a perfect fit for that very audience. The movie understands that some of the other DC superhero movies have been on the darker side, so seeing that this movie revolves around a more light-hearted superhero, because it is a kid with magical powers, not an adult, the movie manages to have a light tone that balances the entire movie wonderfully. Secondly, the movie is truly hilarious throughout. There are witty jokes dispersed throughout the entirety of the film, and these help in making audiences really root for all the characters on-screen, because they become that much more enjoyable, relatable, and likable. 

Shazam! is a perfect fit for what exactly DC was looking for. People were concerned with how their movies were becoming way too dark and serious, which just didn't fit with how watchers want entertaining heroes, not grim ones. Especially considering that some of their most recent movies have been flops, the fact that this movie is thoroughly well done and manages to not only contrast others with its playful tone, but the entirety of the adventure feels spirited and imaginative showcases that this movie fits into the mold that people were looking. The entire concept of the movie is shear gold, in that so many different people can relate to the characters in the movie. When it comes to superheroes, just about anyone and everyone wants to be one, so the fact that an ordinary kid is granted magical powers to become a superhero helps to make the movie an instant hit. Not only does this movie help to save the DC's reputation, but it also grants the franchise a movie for the ages. 

Shazam! manages to combine so many different qualities and elements together to create a magical mixture that will certainly not disappoint. Not only does the movie act as an outstanding origin story, but it is also a coming-of-age story with hints of clever comedy and superhero love. Secondly, the movie proves to be quite the inspiration. The transformation of each and every character allows the movie to have a lasting impact on all of its viewers, which is a goal that just about every movie wants to obtain. 

Shazam! greatly benefits from a superb story that puts a heavy emphasis on secondary characters. The entire foster family that Billy Batson lives with is nothing short of awesome and is just so cool that it almost makes others want to be foster kids as well, because the family is just that unbelievable. Even though there are some darker moments surrounding Billy Batson's life as a foster kid, and his struggle with finding his mother, the foster family that Billy lives with is just so likable and beautifully compliments the light tone that the rest of the movie has. The other foster kids that Billy lives with are also quite enjoyable and are definitely some fan-favorites. Without these characters, the movie would certainly feel lackluster at times, but luckily for the movie, this is simply just not the case. 

Shazam! revolves around a superhero that has been around for a very long time. The character of Shazam, who was originally named Captain Marvel, is over 75 years old, meaning that this movie had a lot of material to work with and a lot to live up to, in order to do said character justice. Shazam, the superhero, has a ton of various different superpowers, which all make the movie that much more engaging. From being able to move at remarkable speeds to flight to having lightning powers, Shazam turns out to be both a powerful superhero and one that is quite entertaining to behold. Furthermore, as Billy discovers all of the various powers that he has, he does this by testing his body out with one of the other foster kids, Freddy, which helps to make one of the best portions of the entire film. This portion is packed to the brim with the exact reason of why so many different people wish to become heroes, and this helps to showcase how much of a kid at heart Billy truly is, despite his newly gained powers. 
 Shazam! also has some exquisite visuals that bring the concepts originally presented in comic books to the big screen. The bright colors splash onto the screen and help to really bring the concept of Shazam to life. The vivid visual effects allow the movie to have some truly noteworthy moments, and this aids in making the entire process of transforming into a superhero quite notable. The spectacular special effects of the movie allow there to be some exceptional moments, like when Billy first learns how to fly. The visuals allow the movie to do everything and then some that it could have possibly wanted to accomplish and are simply magnificent. 

Shazam! benefits tremendously from a talented cast that shines throughout. Zachary Levi plays Shazam and for good reason. He brings emotion and a pure-hearted spirit to the character that brings out the inner-kid in everyone. It seems like Levi was born to play this character, and not only does he become the face of the character, but he gives a performance to remember. Jack Dylan Grazer does a fantastic job of portraying Freddy and is able to become one of the most likable characters in the entire movie. Not only is his character easy to root for, but when he's on-screen, stunning acting always occurs. When both Grazer and Levi are working together, nothing bad can happen, because they form an astonishing acting duo that helps to bring out the best in everyone, and it also helps to make the movie immensely creative and original, as the content they produce together is simply overwhelmingly terrific. 

Not only do viewers seem to fall in love with Shazam!, but critics also found satisfaction with the movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an impressive 91%, which is just such an astounding score, and a whopping 93% of Google users liked the movie, cementing the idea that such a wide variety of audiences enjoyed the movie. 

Shazam! is able to produce a dramatic tale that acts as both a thrilling fantasy and a grounded adventure that shows what it is like to grow up but also shows the crude coolness of gaining powers. The movie manages to act as an homage to the character of Shazam and does his long history justice. This is one of the best superheroes movies to come out in general and will absolutely surpass any and all expectations, making this one not to miss. Everything about this movie flows, and the only possible downside is that the villain of the movie isn't the greatest, but even that feels like nitpicking. This is a movie to yell the powerful word of Shazam to, and just like the superhero, this movie truly is magical. 

"Oh, hey. What’s up? I’m a superhero." - Shazam