Thor | Teen Ink

Thor

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Thor is the first movie in the Thor movie series and is based off of the Marvel superhero character Thor. Thor is a Norse god and the son of Odin, who is the king of Asgard and all of the Norse gods. Odin is beginning to decline in age, and eventually, his throne will need to be inherited by one of his sons, either Thor or his brother Loki, who is the god of mischief and trickery. When it is decided that Thor will be the one to inherit the throne and Loki discovers that he was adopted by Odin, meaning that he doesn't contain any of his bloodline, Loki rightfully becomes enraged. However, Loki's anger is swept aside, because on the day that Thor is meant to be crowned king, the Frost Giants enter the palace, causing Thor to react with rage. Because the Frost Giants are violating a treaty that they made with Odin and are the gods' enemies, Thor decides to act with violence and brutality. However, this causes Odin to decide to punish Thor for his actions and strip him of his right of becoming king. For his acts of injustice, Thor is banished to Earth, stripped of his powers, causing him to just become a mere mortal that can die just as easily as any man, not the epic warrior that he used to be. While on Earth, Loki soon begins to use his anger as fuel for a plot that includes a plan of chaos and mischief in Asgard. Thor must now not only reinvent how he views the world and attempt to change for the better, but he must also learn how to live without his powers, while it seems like his powers might be the only thing that can save the day. 

Thor proves to be an epic adventure that will surely please audiences with its exciting version of Thor. The movie manages to become quite the complicated adventure that introduces audiences to both an entirely new civilization and an entirely new way of viewing the Marvel movie universe, because in this universe, there are nine realms with Earth making up just one of them. The beginning of the movie brilliantly introduces audiences to this concept and the enticing world that is Asgard, as well as Thor, the god of thunder himself, and all of his friends and family. The middle of the movie manages to progress the plot further and showcase an intriguing concept in Thor finding himself on Earth and trying to adjust to a new way of life. As much as Thor is confused with being immersed in an entirely new way of life, so are the people of Earth as they begin to discover that Thor stands out like a black sheep. The exhilarating ending of the movie manages to include a few genuinely shocking twists that aid in making the movie both substantially more interesting and engaging to watch, as well as create a conclusion that is truly emotional. 

Thor proves to be a thrilling superhero movie that combines science fiction with fantasy to bring Thor's comic book world to life. Because the movie is so well done, the tale parallels events that involve international politics and how to deal with others through diplomacy. Throughout the entire adventure, it becomes impossible to become bored or uninterested, because the movie is incredibly compelling and makes viewers want to be able to live in Asgard as well. The tone of the movie is light throughout, never becoming overly dark or grim, which helps to ensure that audiences are always smiling at what's happening on-screen. The dialogue is dispersed with lighthearted moments and outstanding one-liners to make the experience that much more enjoyable and entertaining. 

Thor might be the first movie in the Marvel cinematic universe that includes Thor as a hero, but after watching this movie, it becomes darn hard for people to not feel like they have come to understand Thor as a character that much more. The movie is fast-paced, which also helps to ensure that the movie never has a dull moment of any kind. Furthermore, there is a tremendous amount of character development in the movie, which aids in revolutionizing Thor as a character to change him for the better. Thor progresses from a thick-headed warrior into someone who finally thinks before he acts, pondering about the consequences of others. 

Thor is packed to the brim with awesome action and battle scenes galore. Thor is one of the mightiest superhero characters of all time and one of the strongest, so for such, having him beat up bad guys and showoff his crude awesomeness seems like a must. Luckily, the movie manages to include these battles, the strength of Thor's hammer, and why Thor is such a compelling warrior. Watching Thor fight is always exciting and will surely not disappoint. 

Thor greatly benefits from some noteworthy visuals that bring everything to life and make the world of Asgard and Thor look realistic. All of the magical components of the movie are possible due to some spectacular special effects, and without them, it is fair to wonder if the fantastical way that Thor is able to be transported from Asgard to Earth would be able to be accomplished in the slightest. The amazingly vivid visual effects make Thor look like he just stepped out of the pages of a comic book, and the same goes with others, including Loki. Secondly, the movie manages to become so successful due to a compelling villain. Because Loki and Thor are both brothers and enemies, it is fair to say that they have a complicated relationship. Their connection to one another makes all of their fights complicated, and their entire relationship isn't just one layer, rather it has several different depths. 

Thor has a fantastic cast that seamlessly transforms into their roles. Chris Hemsworth is the face of the movie and now the character for good reason. Not only is he able to look the part and talk like the character, but he is able to bring a level of intensity and emotion to the character that really brings Thor to life. It seems like Chris is able to have fun with his role, and without his superb performance, the movie would most likely not be able to be as fascinating as it is. Tom Hiddleston does a magnificent job of portraying the mischievous Loki and does gives a remarkable performance that highlights how watchers don't know what Loki is really thinking, simply because he is so mischievous. Tom and Chris combine together to create an acting duo for the ages, and because both Thor and Loki are constantly feuding with one another, the conflict between the two characters cannot be underestimated. 

Thor is absolutely worth seeing, because this adventure combines drama, emotion, action, marvelous visuals and a thought through plot to create a movie that does the character of Thor justice. This movie will surpass any and all previous expectations with ease, because the movie is that triumphant of a hit. Just like Thor, the god of thunder, this movie makes a massive boom and deserves to be heard. 

"You are no match for the mighty Thor!" - Thor