Captain Marvel Perpetuates Female Stereotypes | Teen Ink

Captain Marvel Perpetuates Female Stereotypes

By thingwithfeathers BRONZE, Palo Alto, California
thingwithfeathers BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

At face value, Captain Marvel is an impressive cinematic spectacle that is clearly worth the hype. It’s no wonder the film recently grossed over $1 billion in the global box office. The movie follows the standard format of any MCU movie—it begins shortly after an explosion, then jumps to the future, where the audience meets a technologically advanced alien race threatened by an outside force. We take a detour to Earth (or, rather, C-53), discover the main character’s hidden past, reach a hair-raising climax in the heat of battle, and eventually watch as our heroine has an epiphany that puts the good guys on top. Throw in a dose of amnesia, an unexpected villain, ties to the US military, and well-placed crescendos in the score to accentuate pivotal moments, and you’re guaranteed to have a smash-hit superhero blockbuster. However, with great power comes great responsibility— and in crafting an appropriate first movie with a female protagonist, Marvel comes up short.

Before becoming Captain Marvel, our heroine is Vers, a young warrior of the extraterrestrial Kree race. In preparation to embark on her first mission, Vers trains under military commander Yon-Rogg, who repeatedly chastises Vers for allowing her emotions to control her in combat. Vers’ unmanageable emotions prove to be her primary weakness as the plot progresses. While it’s refreshing to see a three-dimensional Marvel hero with relatable human flaws, assigning this particular weakness to Captain Marvel perpetuates the stereotype that women cannot restrain their emotions, with undermines the feminist theme of the movie. On the whole, Marvel’s male heroes are admirable in part due to their ability to keep their cool under intense pressure. Almighty Thor, honorable Captain America, and powerful Black Panther all channel their emotions to aid them in battle, or suppress them altogether. It’s a contradictory move on Marvel’s part to create an immensely powerful female superhero whose fragile feelings inhibit her skills as a warrior. Often, the movie seems to be trying too hard to emphasize just how powerful Captain Marvel is, practically screaming Look! Our female hero is even stronger than all the male superheroes we made! She has magical fire hands, can fly, is super smart, and also super strong. Yep, we’re #woke. Nevertheless, Captain Marvel remains a dazzling motion picture that doesn’t disappoint devoted Marvel fans. Before the film is over, Vers confronts Yon-Rogg and delivers a biting comeback that redeems the movie’s message: “I don’t have anything to prove to you.” And neither should the first female-driven addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Abigail is an author, actor, athlete, musician, and feminist who is passionate about stories in all their forms and has a particular soft spot for hot chai tea. She would love to have an intellectual conversation with you, but isn't sure she could hold up her end. Abigail claims she is a human being, but honestly? We're not entirely sure.