Finding Forrester | Teen Ink

Finding Forrester

By meganwilson BRONZE, Naches, Washington
meganwilson BRONZE, Naches, Washington

The movie Finding Forrester follows a sixteen-year old named Jamal Wallace (Rob Brown) who exells on the basketball court and in his writing, however Jamal doesn’t mention his writing that much until he meets William Forrester (Sean Connery).

Jamal was dared by his Bronx friends to break into Forrester’s apartment, or as they called him “The Window” as he never left his apartment. However Jamal left his school bag in the apartment after Forrester scared him. The next day Jamal was leaving the basketball court that’s across from Forrester’s apartment and his bag was thrown next to him. When he goes to write in his journal, he sees corrections in every one. When Jamal’s test scores come in, a prep school offers him a scholarship, and he takes it. Jamal returns to Forrester’s and asks if Forrester will help him with his writing.  At the prep school Jamal stands up to one of the teacher’s for a classmate.

Jamal enters a writing competition with one of the pieces Forrester helped him with, and didn’t know that Forrester had published the piece in The New Yorker before.  For Forrester’s birthday Jamal got the two of them tickets to a basketball game, the two got seperated. When Jamal found Forrester they left the game and went to Yankee Stadium. Jamal had seen Forrester’s old pictures and there were some of the stadium. The two talked at the stadium and Forrester told Jamal more about his family and how Forrester is the only one left. Jamal also learned that Forrester was born in Scotland.

At the state championship game, Jamal got two foul shots seconds before the buzzer, Jamal missed both of them. Jamal is on academic probation because of his writing submission, and is not allowed to read at the competion. Forrester goes to the school and reads one of Jamal’s writings.

A memerable quote from Forrester is “we walk away from our dreams afraid that we may fail or worse yet, afraid we may succeed.”

William Forrester only wrote one book, because of how a nurse acted towards him, instead of helping Forrester’s dying brother. After that Forrester decided that he didn’t want to go through another expierence like that ever again.

Finding Forrester which was released in 2000 was written by Mike Rich and directed by Gus Van Sant. Jonathan King and Dany Wolf are the executive producers of the film. For this PG-13 movie I’d rate it, a four. I would give it a five, the movie does feel a bit predictable at times. However I would reccomend, because it’s still a great movie. The movie has a great storyline and the theme of your family doesn’t have to be blood. I really like that.