Finding Forrester Review | Teen Ink

Finding Forrester Review

By Mack_Benge BRONZE, Selah, Washington
Mack_Benge BRONZE, Selah, Washington

Movie: Finding Forrester

The movie Finding Forrester, is about an amazing fictional writer by the name of William Forrester (Sean Connery), and a poverty stricken kid named Jamal Wallace (Rob Brown). In the movie, Wallace has this amazing talent of writing but doesn’t know how to put it into motion. He meets Forrester and slowly they build up their friendship whilst Forrester teaches him how to write correctly.

Finding Forrester was made in the year 2000 and is rated PG 13 for its explicit language and talk throughout the movie. It was directed by Gus Van Sant and was produced by Sean Connery, Rhonda Tollefson and Laurence Mark. It is a categorized as a Drama because of its background and gripping features.

A fun fact about the character William Forrester, he was inspired by  J.D. Salinger and John Kennedy Tolle. They both are fabulous writers but both lead a very private lifestyle.

The producers thought it was a unique idea to make a movie about writing, an unusual topic for a movie. So they decided to put in the movie the struggle of finding yourself and friendship. It is gripping with many layers of emotions.
In the beginning of Finding Forrester, the two main characters meet in an unusual way. Jamal was dared to go up to the Window Man’s apartmemt by his unique friends. While there he was suppose to take something back with him to prove he went in there. But while he snuck around on the top floor apartment he was caught by Forrester and fled leaving his backpack behind on accident.

Later on in the movie when Jamal got his backpack back he noticed that his writings were revised. One page read “constipated.” It’s funny little things like this in the movie that made the audience laugh and IMDB gave it a 7.3 out of 10 stars. It continuously happens throughout Finding Forrester. Between Forresters funny remarks, and Jamal’s test of patience, you never know what's going to happen next for either of them.

Finding Forrester is a feel good movie. It displays Jamals struggles of living in the Bronx and how he overcomes them. He lives with his mother Janice Wallace (Stephanie Berry) and his brother Terrell Wallace (Busta Rhymes) in a house with thin walls. He explains in the movie how loud it is, how his neighbors constantly yell throughout the day and night. How he can hear the honking of horns and the screaming of drunks. Not a pleasant place to be or come from.

When Jamal goes to Forresters house for the first time as friends, he talks about how loud his house is. How different lifestyles they live and how beautiful his house is. It’s something that you can see that he would like to be able to have. Sine he lives in such a poverty stricken state he believes he has no hope for this “dream.”

In conclusion Finding Forrester is one crazy, and amazing film starring Sean Connery and Rob Brown. This movie is what kickstarted Brown’s acting career, and it added another fabulous movie onto Sean Connery’s carrier. This movie is a eight out of ten stars from me. Hopefully we’ll see another wonderful movie with both of these wild actors!

I enjoyed writing this peice. It is a wonderful movie and you should watch it!