Teen Titans Go! To the Movies | Teen Ink

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is an action-packed superhero adventure that is perfect for the whole family. The movie revolves around the Teen Titans, who are a superhero group that consist of an alien princess in Starfire, the witty Beast Boy, the athletic Cyborg, the powerful Raven, and the boy wonder Robin. Robin is the leader of the group and becomes upset by the fact that all of the major superheroes seem to be getting their own movies, except for himself. This causes him to feel like he isn't actually a good enough hero. It is Robin's dream to get his own movie, so it isn't a surprise that he is willing to do just about everything in order to become a star, which would put aside people's views of him being nothing more than just a sidekick. Because the Teen Titans are loyal friends to Robin, they are willing to help him out no matter what, so they bring all of their crazy personalities and shenanigans with them to Hollywood, convinced that they will be able to get their own movie. When they get rejected at first glance, the Teen Titans realize that they should have an arch nemesis, because it seems like all of the superheroes with movies have one. As they attempt to find an arch nemesis to help them get a movie, things soon go wrong, and before they know it, a super villain begins to carry out his plans of taking over the world with the Teen Titans being the only ones that can save the day. 

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is an overall solid movie that is at its best when it decides to have fun with the superhero genre. The movie isn't afraid to make fun of itself or poke fun at other superheroes, which proves to be quite entertaining. The characters make fun of both Marvel and DC superhero characters and movies, and all of these instances are just a delight to watch. The beginning of the movie does a fairly good job of introducing audiences to all of the characters and their relationships with one another. The middle of the movie is definitely one of the weaker portions of the film, because it involves the most amount of insane gags and antics that are certainly not for everyone, especially those of an older age. However, the enticing ending of the movie proves to satisfactorily conclude the movie and is capable of elucidating all of the movie's powerful themes, like how fame isn't everything. Even though the end isn't that exhilarating, there are elements of humor dispersed throughout it that help to keep the tone of the movie consitently light throughout. In fact, the line tone is by far one of the best aspects of the entire movie. Unlike some of the other movies in the DC movie universe, this movie knows how to be funny, regardless of what is occurring on-screen. 
 Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is able to poke fun at just about anyone and everyone related to superheroes. The movie acknowledges some of the flops in the DC universe and even manages to make fun of Stan Lee. Even though there are plenty of jokes, the characters in the movie don't stay true to the characters of the comics, which could be a major disappointment for audiences. The most famous Teen Titans group is completely unlike this group, even though most of the characters are technically the same, and their personalities are fairly different with Robin being more of a little kid than the strong capable leader that he is in comic books. However, because the movie is catered towards a young audience, this isn't the biggest factor, except for those who are of an older age and/or only seeing of the movie due to their appreciation of the comics. 

Speaking of age groups, Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is not for everyone. For those who are of an older age, most, if not all, of the singing that the characters do might seem unnecessary and annoying, and some of the characters' antics may just seem like crude silliness.

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies greatly benefits from having some noteworthy visuals. As an animated movie, the visuals are absolutely key to the actual outcome of the movie, so luckily for the film, the vivid visual effects don't disappoint. The spectacular special effects of the movie are a major component of the movie and are able to bring all of the superhero battles of the movie to life even more. 

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies is the rare superhero movie that can say that is enjoyed by both critics and viewers equally. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie an exceptional 91%, which truly is an impressive mark, and an outstanding 90% of Google users liked the movie, demonstrating that a wide variety of different audiences were able to find satisfaction with the movie and helps to cement the concept that the movie is in fact worth watching.

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies isn't perfect for everyone, since it is definitely intended for family friendly audiences, but for those who have seen other superhero movies and are watching the movie for the sole purpose of enjoyment and entertainment, this is one to go and see. 

"There was a Green Lantern movie... but we don't talk about that." - Green Lantern