Escape Room Movie Review | Teen Ink

Escape Room Movie Review

By laurenazrin BRONZE, White Plains, New York
laurenazrin BRONZE, White Plains, New York

Escape Room is a suspenseful and twisted drama that will have you clinging to the edge of your seat and second guessing each character’s every move. 

When 6 people receive invitations to an escape room where you can win $10,000, there is no hesitation from any of them that it’s worth a shot. I mean, what do they have to lose? Escape rooms are typically a fun game of riddles, numbers, and word plays leading to different clues that help you to solve a puzzle or lock to get out of the room. Seems harmless, but when they arrive and realize that things seem suspicious, the characters begin to worry. 

The movie follows them trying to solve the escape room, only this one becomes a battle to the death. Each room is designed to target another character’s past trauma, leading to twisted mind games and emotional hardship for every character. They soon become a tight bond of people, both trying to save each other, but also trying to avoid helplessly not being the next person killed off in the next room. 

I’m not a huge fan of scary movies, but I can say that this movie was more suspenseful and tense than it was scary. It was a mind game, so the audience is thinking the whole time too, with ideas about what clues the character can use or what to be cautious of. 

The way that each room was tied to another person was genius, on the writer’s part. It was really emotionally targeting the characters in such deep ways that interfered with their abilities to try to escape each room. Discovering how each character is related to one room leaves the audience with a feeling of satisfaction that they were able to figure something out among the abundance of tricks and mysteries throughout the movie. 

Ultimately, I enjoyed this movie much more than I thought I would, as I was always engaged and apprehensively waiting for what was to come next. It was exciting to figure things out with the characters, and to figure out the escape room almost as if you were beside the characters in the room doing it with them. It was very suspenseful and dark, however, so if that’s not your thing then maybe shy away from the film.