Event Horizon | Teen Ink

Event Horizon

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Event Horizon is a movie taking place in 2047 and revolves around a mysterious ship called the Event Horizon as the name suggests. When the Event Horizon goes past Neptune and disappears for awhile, everybody assumes that everything is going as planned. The ship is designed to go faster than light and travel through space and time at a remarkable speed by creating a special gateway that combines advanced technology with revolutionary science and math. However, when the ship mysteriously reappears after being gone for awhile, nobody is positive about what to make of it. A team onboard a ship called the Lewis and Clark are sent on a mission to find the ship and figure out what happened. The team is led by Captain Miller, and they're accompanied by the inventor of the Event Horizon, William Weir, who's there to help give an insight on how the ship works and some insight on the kind of possibilities that could've happened to it. After they try to scan the ship, the team soon learns something is off when they detect life signs, but they can't localize it. A group of people go to check the inside of the ship, and they quickly realize that their worst fears have been made into reality. There's a dead body with odd attributes, there's signs of life but no actual sightings of life, and the heart of the ship seems to be the strangest thing of all. Because of the result of a powerful gravity wave, the Lewis and Clark gets destroyed, and everyone is forced to hop on board the Event Horizon, which might prove to be a fatal mistake. The ship has a sketchy vibe to it, and when hallucinations begin to occur, the crew members don't know what to expect, but they do know one thing: it can't be good.
 Event Horizon is overall an intriguing movie that certainly has its highlights. The movie is able to combine thrilling science fiction with eerie concepts to create the movie that, for the most part, leaves audiences wanting more. The beginning of the movie does a great job of jump starting the movie, allowing viewers to be introduced into this future reality and all of the technological advances that have occurred here. The middle of the movie does a marvelous job of progressing the movie along, and as the movie gets further along in the story, things continue to get that much more enticing. The ending of the movie isn't that memorable, but it does a nice job of concluding the movie, which is basically all that matters. Although the movie is intriguing and benefits from having a plot that isn't afraid of showcasing ideas that no aren't usually depicted that well on the big screen. However, some of the concepts presented in the movie might be too radical and out there for some, since the movie isn't really that grounded nor that fond of conforming most other movies, so, instead, it decides to go the route of trying to make peope believe the unbelievable. 

Event Horizon greatly benefits from having a few tremendous performances from its immensely talented cast. Laurence Fishburne in particular is nothing short of spectacular, and his bold, captivating voice is just what this movie needed for the brave captain. Laurence plays Captain Miller and is really able to transform into the character, and it is quite fair to say that he is one of the only characters that is truly capable of grabbing audiences' attentions to the point that they feel for him. 

Unfortunately for Event Horizon, critics were really harsh with the movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a poor 26%, and IMDb gave the movie a not-so-great 6.7/10. The good news is that a solid 84% of Google users liked the movie, which at least helps to show that audiences liked the movie. Although it is understandable if potential viewers are put off by the fact that the movie received incredibly low marks from critics, these marks seem to be way too cruel, and the movie truly is worth taking the time to watch, regardless of what some critics have to say. 

Event Horizon is surprisingly entertaining, exhilarating, and is jam packed to the brim with heart-pounding action that has hints of fear and creepiness dispersed throughout it. The whole notion of having a ship be able to go to the unknown is creepy, but Event Horizon is able to elevate that creepiness to the next level. This movie is definitely a bone-chilling, science-fiction movie that manages to have its own unique flavor of fear. Event Horizon might not be the best movie out there for some, but people should still see it, so they can be able to create their own opinions on how they feel about the movie, because the movie certainly has its charm. 

"Vacate! I want off this ship!" - Captain Miller