The Incredible Hulk | Teen Ink

The Incredible Hulk

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

The Incredible Hulk is the first introduction of the Hulk in the Marvel Cinematic universe, and it might just be the best Hulk movie yet. The movie revolves around, Bruce Banner, a scientist who gets his entire life turned upside down after he gets blasted with gamma rays. The radiation causes Bruce Banner to transform into a gigantic, green, fighting monster that can take out an entire army. Because a general in the US army wants to find Bruce, so he can capture his DNA and replicate it, in order to make a weapon out of it, Bruce has fled the country and has gone to Brazil, where he works as a low-level factory worker. However, after an accident at the factory occurs, a drop of his blood falls into one of the drinks that they sell, and someone dies from drinking it, the general is able to locate Bruce, causing him to be forced to flee once again. Bruce Banner must juggle escaping from the government, trying to find the love of his life, Betty Ross, who is the daughter of the general that has it out for Bruce, finding a cure for his cells, so he will be normal permanently, and stopping a new villain that also has been infected with the power of the gamma radiation and is known as the Abomination. 
 The Incredible Hulk is a solid superhero movie that does manage to do the character a fair amount of justice. The beginning of the movie is alright, but it doesn't really accomplish anything too brilliant. However, it does a good job of illustrating the origins of the Hulk without becoming overly-dark or creepy, which is absolutely a plus. The middle of the movie does a good job of progressing the movie along and manages to continue to throw obstacles at Bruce Banner, making the movie substantially more interesting. The enticing ending proves to be the movie's best part and is loaded to the brim with action and excitement. 

Although The Incredible Hulk is a pretty good superhero movie, the best thing that the movie does is introduce Bruce Banner and the Hulk to the Marvel cinematic universe, where the Hulk is able to shine even more. All of the fight scenes with the Hulk are especially good in the movie, and they always manage to leave the audiences wanting more. The battle between the Hulk and Abomination is awesome and is definitely one of the movie's main highlights. 

The Incredible Hulk greatly benefits from having visually outstanding effects that help to bring the Hulk to life and make him look realistic. These superb special effects are called on early and often, and they certainly live up to expectations and then some. Edward Norton is actually amazing as Bruce Banner, and he manages to successfully act like a somewhat scrawny, genius scientist that struggles with controlling his anger. 

With all of that in mind, The Incredible Hulk doesn't really have any thrilling twists or turns, and the addition of some of those would have helped to elevate this movie to the next level. Even though there is a fair amount of suspense and drama in the movie, there definitely could have been more, seeing as the internal battle between Bruce Banner and the Hulk is meant to be a fantastic conflict that pushes them to their very limits. 

The Incredible Hulk isn't the greatest superhero movie of all time, but critics and viewers were both pretty satisfied with the movie. Rotten Tomatoes gave the movie a decent 67%, which isn't terrible but certainly isn't terrific. IMDb gave the movie a 6.8/10, which is actually solid, since they tend to give movies slightly lower scores. A favorable 86% of Google users liked the movie, helping to demonstrate that audiences did feel contentment with the film, but they weren't blown out of the park with this one. 

The Incredible Hulk is certainly worth watching for a wide variety of audiences, and it is definitely a must see for people who want to see Hulk's origins in the Marvel cinematic universe, and audiences will most likley be fulfilled with movie, as long as they aren't hoping for a ground-breaking masterpiece. 

"Hulk, SMASH!" - Bruce Banner/The Hulk