Get Out Movie Review | Teen Ink

Get Out Movie Review

By jonelleskylarr BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
jonelleskylarr BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why we call it present." -Eleanor Roosevelt

“Now you're in the sunken place,” Missy Armitage (Catherine Keener) says. Get Out will seem average with its seemingly normal storyline. However, hidden beneath is a collection of humor interspersed with horror that will haunt onlookers and couldn’t be guessed through the supposedly minor, but eerie occurrences. This movie was written and directed by well known comedian and writer, Jordan Peele, who has won many awards on behalf of it. The film skillfully uses the abstract fear of something so absurd happening to evoke terror in the audience. It is not just a horror movie, though. It is a brilliant piece constructed with subtle details scattered throughout to provide an astonishing and scary film. This motion picture will undoubtedly create in you a suspicion you never knew you had.

Get Out is similar to Paranormal Activity, though it had nothing to do with spirits or ghosts, but evil humans. In both, unsuspecting people went into a strange house and not imagining the terror that would follow. It is also reminiscent of The Visit where two siblings go to their grandparents house in a remote area of Pennsylvania. The grandparents seem perfect, as did the Armitage family in Get Out, but they soon notice strange behavior from their hosts and a sequence of disturbing events unfold. Get Out doesn’t seem chilling as the movie went on, but by the end you will notice how blood curdling the plot actually was.

In the movie, Chris’ camera light flashes and chaos ensues, starting with the words, “Get out!”  A young black man, Chris Washington, goes to his white girlfriend’s parents house for the weekend. The Armitages, her family, want to make him feel more comfortable, so they try to assure him that they are not racist with droll humor like, “If I could, I would have voted for Obama for a third term.” Though they may seem to be a “normal” family, they are planning to carry out a sickening plan behind the scenes. The actors make you feel what is happening to them, as if it was real and happening right then. The cries, the screams, and  the awkwardness helped move the story along interestingly. Actor Daniel Kaluuya, who also played W’Kabi in Black Panther, looks into the distance as he sinks within himself and his almost lifeless expressions are so convincing. Tears trickle down his stunned face and make for an exciting watch. We also see some familiar faces such as Catherine Keener who voiced villain, Eleanor Deavor, in Incredibles 2. The performers and script enhance the movie and could hypnotize you into believing that you are truly in the movie.

The music was, like the movie, thrilling. It was put in at all the right times and made the movie even more intense. The movie started off with the mellow song “Redbone” by Childish Gambino, implying that it would be a light family movie about a modern couple and how nervous they were to be at the meeting the parents stagein their relationship. The sound effects added throughout completely erased any thoughts about this being just a regular drama. They were suspenseful and made my heartbeat quicken with every second of the main characters’ inevitable doom. The costumes were also very accurate. Since this movie takes place in the present, their clothing isn’t much different from ours unless it plays a big role in developing the plot. For example, the two housekeepers, Georgina and Walter, wear old fashioned clothes and both act very  clueless about the present, foreshadowing what they really were. .

Get Out was artfully crafted. There were a few swear words, but not so many that they overpower the movie or turn teenage viewers off from it. It put a conflict between two races in one of the most absurd ways imaginable, but not too “out of the box” for it to seem unrealistic. After watching this movie, you will want to keep a camera close at all times just in case someone warns you to get out before it’s too late.