Leave No Trace | Teen Ink

Leave No Trace MAG

By kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other
kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other

“Leave No Trace” is a cunning film crafted from Peter Rock’s novel, My Abandonment. It brings us the journey of homeless father, Will (played by Ben Foster) and his daughter, Tom (played by Thomasin McKenzie), living secretly in the woods of Forest Park near Portland, Oregon. After the authorities discover their illegal resettlement, their way of life changes forever and their father-daughter bond is tested.

Listed under the drama category, “Leave No Trace” succeeds in giving the audience the right amount of emotions in a unique and distinguishable delivery. Thanks to the screenplay, direction, and actors, the soul of the story is exceptionally portrayed.

Director and scriptwriter Debra Granik combines creativity and brilliance into one. She cleverly takes this opportunity to showcase lovely landscapes and vibrant views that supplement the sad color of the film. She also inserts short but notable lines in the screenplay. The audience is captivated with words in every dialogue because of this technique. Finally, Granik flourishes the ending with a twist that’s unexpected and worth remembering.

Actors Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie portray their characters very well. Foster, as a calm and quiet father suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, provides a stunning performance. He is so seasoned that his acting seems completely natural throughout the movie. McKenzie’s interpretation of a tomboyish 13-year-old girl is also stellar and equals Foster’s performance. Even with barely noticeable music or sound effects, the two are able to create impactful drama. Their emotions and gestures coat the scenes in whatever mood they want to relay. Watching the movie is like looking intently at a person’s eyes in which one can feel and understand the message without uttering any words.

I highly recommend the movie to anyone with a close or broken relationship with their dad. “Leave No Trace” isn’t just a film – it’s an experience.