To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before | Teen Ink

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before MAG

September 28, 2018
By kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other
kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other
13 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Lara Jean (portrayed by Lana Condor) writes love letters to her crushes when that surge of emotion kicks in. However, she never sends the letters – she just keeps the letters to herself. One day, the letters are leaked and find their way into the hands of their addressees. Lara Jean has no choice but to face the situation. What comes next is the thing she never expects to happen to her quiet life.

Based on Jenny Han’s novel, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” is a compelling story of young love, self-esteem and family relationship. It shows you how love can transform a person into someone else, how it can change the way people look at another person, and even how that person looks at oneself. The movie also teaches you that there is nothing wrong with speaking from your heart, being honest about what you feel, and facing life without holding back. Most importantly, the movie is a great reminder of the importance of family support.

On the technical side, however, the movie runs a rough road. The direction and cinematography are quite impressive, but a few aspects of the film just don’t match up. The soundtrack, for example, doesn’t match the mood of many scenes. In the scene where Lara Jean is going on the ski trip, the music should be upbeat and exciting to enhance the feeling of adventure. Instead, the music is subdued. The movie sets and background scenes are well done. Scenes are framed with with trees, pillars, and walls beautifully, but because most scenes focus on the constant dialogue between two characters, viewers never get a larger view of the movie’s setting. Conversations dominate most of the movie, which can get a bit tiring.

On the brighter side, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” is still a superb movie. It is fun, romantic, and clever. It carries a powerful message that everyone should embrace, especially teenagers. The film might have some weaknesses, but once your heart sinks deeper into the story’s core, you can overlook them. In the end, the movie is easy to connect with.