Devil | Teen Ink

Devil MAG

By kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other
kaitokid GOLD, Iloilo, Other

Imagine yourself with strangers trapped inside an elevator. The atmosphere is normal until it becomes eerie and sinister. The power cuts on and off with every passing moment. And every time the lights go back on, death growls before you.

If you can’t bear imagining this creepy scenario, then watching the movie “Devil” will be a nightmare.

Based on the Devil’s Meeting – a premise that claims the Devil wanders Earth to search for and test evildoers by tormenting them – this supernatural thriller movie can cause any weak heart to worsen. Every scene is disastrous. “Devil” is like a cursed Jack-in-the-box, packaged with astonishing screen play, notable characters, and terrifying audio effects.

The combination of John Erick Dowdle’s direction, M. Night Shyamalan’s story, and Brian Nelson’s script is sensational. The movie begins in a tepid flow and climaxes as it reaches its boiling point. The story centers on five people who are trapped in an elevator. Rescuing them is difficult, as they are stuck between floors. One by one, the trapped individuals start to die from strange causes. You eventually realize that one of the characters is the Devil disguised in a human form, and the movie climaxes when the last person alive comes face-to-face with him.

A lot of details supplement the movie. Clues are present in each scene, but you probably won’t realize they are keys to the story. It may even be hard for mystery aficionados to identify the Devil through these clues. Focusing on the movie’s plot is a must because the backgrounds of each character are interconnected to each other.

Moreover, these characters captivate the audience. As “Devil” progresses, the way they act also escalates. Their horrified faces and actions genuinely reflect how truly scared they are. It’s hard to believe the situation before you isn’t real life. One of main characters, Logan Marshall-Green, is remarkable as he portrays a mysterious and spiteful passenger of the elevator. Geoffrey Arend, Bojana Novakovic, Bokeem Woodbine, Jenny O’Hara, and Chris Messina also succeed in giving stellar performances.

The audio effects in “Devil” can drive you crazy. Thuds and thumps come roaring like a bullet, leaving you holding your breath. The sound moves around the theatre from one seat to another. There’s only one problem with the audio effects: they become too faint when your screams overpower them.

Generally, “Devil” is a marvelous work of art, but should be limited to people who aren’t afraid to have nightmares. If you have the urge to risk having your heart jump out of your chest, this movie is for you.