Movie Review: Midnight in Paris | Teen Ink

Movie Review: Midnight in Paris

By AmbiguousB SILVER, Alta Loma, California
AmbiguousB SILVER, Alta Loma, California

"There is no sun without shadow, and it is essential to know the night" -Albert Camus

I watched this movie in segments because I wanted it to last forever... whiiiich is actually kind of the whole message of the movie. The concept of nostalgia for another time period diminished by the realization of constant human desire for things (in this case, eras) that are not their own was amazing to see a movie try to tackle. Just the idea alone would make me fall in love with any art based off of it. However, I was not a fan of how it was executed. 

​The main actors really annoyed me for some reason, especially Rachel McAdams who played Inez. Maybe it was just that her character seemed overly cliche and shallow in ways that were unnatural (even for cliche and shallow people). Personally, the whole 'clock strikes midnight and magic pursues' and the 'I am planning to marry someone who I don't actually love' stuff is too Disney for my taste (see Cinderella and Aladdin).

Despite my criticisms, I absolutely loved all of the details and references to 1890s-1920s art. I was taken back by seeing some of my favorite writers and artists portrayed in the movie; I guess I can identify with the main character, Gil, in this way. The movie made me feel like I was face to face with Pablo Picasso and right there, sitting at the table along side Salvador Dali. The way that it was able to draw its audience in made its message even more powerful, and something that going into college next year where I will have to face the real world and all of its imperfections, I really did need to hear. 

I love art history, and if you do too, I highly recommend this movie!