A Princess Bride - Does it Deserve the Hype? | Teen Ink

A Princess Bride - Does it Deserve the Hype?

July 11, 2018
By iizzyy BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado
iizzyy BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents" - Bob Ross


The Princess Bride was a movie following the story of Buttercup, a kind and gentle girl, and her mission to seek refuge from becoming the queen with a man she has no wish to be with. Throughout the story, the soon-to-be queen has to defeat all kinds of problems she faces in their medieval town, all while trying to be with the love of her life again.

Although the movie seemed to play off of romance cliches that I have seen far too many times, it really worked with the movie and the comedic structure. I even did feel like some certain scenes and costumes, and even camera angles did really feel like they were trying to be cheesy on purpose. They didn’t feel out of place though. In general, the movie seemed to be making fun of other medieval movies.

The general setting of the story was very cohesive and the use of neutral tones stayed very present throughout the story. Although some of the props and costumes looked extremely artificial, (not to mention that the princess never quite got dirty while she was running through the woods,) I do agree that everything went well together and belonged in the film.

The movie’s soundtrack seemed almost perfect to me, and I really like how the beats in the movie seem to go along perfectly to what was happening on screen. It seemed that rather than storytelling with sound effects, they instead did storytelling with music.

The one thing that did keep nagging me throughout the film seemed to be the issue with the objectification of women throughout the movie. Some quotes in A Princess Bride actually left me speechless, like “Where I come from, do you know what we do to women who lie?” (or something along those lines anyways.) The whole fact that Buttercup was planning on committing suicide all because her love didn’t rescue her was ridiculous. Sometimes I couldn’t tell if these moments were actually making fun of fairy tales, or if they were serious. But then again, the movie came out before my time, and I do think that nowadays no one would have tolerated this theme.

All the actors were great, they seemed to exaggerate their roles to show that they were in a fairy tale. Robin Wright as Buttercup stuck out to me the most. She portrayed strong emotions and overall was a very strong actress. The dialogue was witty and fast-paced, and pretty much was one of the best features of the movie

In retrospect, A Princess Bride was very memorable. It was and still remains a cult classic, enjoyed by children and adults alike. Some of the quotes still remain iconic to this day. The movie was well made, even though some parts left me scratching my head. I do recommend that you see this movie, or at least before you die. It’s definitely an essential movie to watch.


The author's comments:

This article is about all of my thoughts as I watched the film A Princess Bride for the first time. In general: it was pretty good!