Afterward by Jennifer Mathieu | Teen Ink

Afterward by Jennifer Mathieu

By abreul SILVER, Whitehall, Pennsylvania
abreul SILVER, Whitehall, Pennsylvania

I received this book as an advanced reader's copy and I had originally signed up for a goodreads giveaway for it...to no avail. Imagine my surprise when it ends up in my mail!! Anyway, this book is about a tragedy that strikes a sleepy little town in Texas. Caroline's autistic younger brother was kidnapped and found soon after his disappearance, but with his discovery came a surprise. Ethan has been living with his kidnapper for four years. He never expected anyone to find him...and suddenly he is dropped right back into his old life. The book is told from Ethan and Caroline's points of view. For Ethan, it is the struggle to transition back into a normal life while plagued with nightmares and memories. For Caroline, it is watching her family fall apart before her very eyes. Her brother is constantly suffering from memories that he can't express to his family. To help him, Caroline visits Ethan, and a twisted sort of friendship is born. But as time goes on, and Ethan remembers more and more about his past, will their bond last? This was SUCH an amazing book. The chapters are separated into how many days have gone by since the boys' rescue. The characters are well-formed and the plot is excellent. Miss. Mathieu is an amazing author with a talent for weaving pure emotion and pain into her writing. I also lovelovelove the cover! This is the kind of book that I've been searching for. I would definitely recommend this book to other young adult readers. Hope you enjoy the book!