Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos | Teen Ink

Out of Reach by Carrie Arcos

June 17, 2014
By LivingTheDr3Am DIAMOND, Bedford, New York
LivingTheDr3Am DIAMOND, Bedford, New York
53 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Throw me to the wolves and I'll come back leading the pack."


It’s much easier to find Waldo than it is to find Rachel’s brother, Micah. For years now, Micah has struggled with his uncontrollable addiction to methamphetamine. After coming back from a ridiculously expensive rehabilitation program, Rachel’s parents thought Micah had been miraculously cured.

But Rachel knew the truth. Every night, she could hear Micah pacing anxiously in his bedroom. When Micah came home from parties early in the mornings, Rachel always met him at the door of his room.

“I’ve got it under control,” Micah always said. “Don’t worry about me so much. Really, I’m fine.” So Rachel nodded, knowing that lies were easier to stomach than the truth. But in reality, the truth is always nipping at your heels. In Rachel’s case, it caught up to her rather quickly when she was forced to explain to her parents that Micah had run away because he had relapsed. Instead of staying home and grieving with her parents, Rachel decided to try and find her brother, no matter what state of mind he happened to be in. With the help of an anonymous email and Micah’s best friend, Tyler, Rachel begins the long and difficult search for her brother. Along the way, Rachel uncovers the truth behind her relationship with Micah, her growing attraction towards Tyler, and the fact that sometimes people just don’t want to be found.


The author's comments:
I really, really enjoyed this book. It is so full of fear, love, hope, and hopelessness that I couldn't put it down. I definitely recommend it!!