Crash into You by Katie McGarry | Teen Ink

Crash into You by Katie McGarry

By WriterWannaBe PLATINUM, Somers Point, New Jersey
WriterWannaBe PLATINUM, Somers Point, New Jersey

She’s supposed to be the girl with the perfect life: the straight A’s, the pretty face, and the loving and supportive family. But the real Rachel Young is anything but perfect. Rachel’s got secrets. Secrets that could ruin the newly found happiness of her family. Measuring up to legacy left behind of her faultless older sister is proving more and more difficult each day. The longer she keeps her secrets hidden, the more trouble she causes herself. And now that bad boy Isaiah is in the picture, Rachel is finding that she can’t maintain this perfect daughter image much longer.

When it comes to Isaiah, Rachel is the last thing he needs. To him, she’s an angel. A pretty, rich angel who has no clue what life outside of her development is like. His devil past is telling him to stay far, far away from someone so pure. But when a street race goes wrong, the pair become tangled in a mess of problems. They’ve got six weeks to get it together or they’ll risk their lives. Just how far will they go to save each other’s lives?

The third installment in Katie McGarry’s Pushing the Limits series, Crash into You, brings excitement, thrill, and romance, but lacks substance. McGarry does an remarkable job at introducing well-rounded and lifelike characters. Rachel and Isaiah are at every high school across America. They’re the kids next door and the relationship they have is one dreamed up by many a teenage girl. And even if readers know nothing about cars, the novel’s street racing storyline will not bore them. Engine talk is few and far between and is never too confusing or too textbook.

But when it comes to the overall freshness of the piece, McGarry isn’t quite there. Her plot and dialogue are too familiar to YA Lit and readers will not find the novel very memorable. However, fans of McGarry’s other novels will rejoice in the familiarity of characters from Pushing the Limits past. McGarry knows what her readers want and she delivers that well. However, if she wants to reach beyond her fan base, McGarry needs push her characters to go beyond the same old monotonous scenario.