Dancer Daughter Traitor Spy by Elizabeth Kiem | Teen Ink

Dancer Daughter Traitor Spy by Elizabeth Kiem

July 23, 2013
By mb777 GOLD, Thornwood, New York
mb777 GOLD, Thornwood, New York
10 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Never forget your purpose in the world. Elizabeth Kiem, author of her first novel Dancer Daughter Traitor Spy, creatively incorporates this lesson into her novel.

A teenage girl named Marina who is a ballet dancer, daughter of the international ballet star, Sveta, a traitor to her homeland, and a spy in her new home is the character in which the story revolves around. Marina was born into the upper class of the Soviet Union where she grew up in comfort, training to be a ballerina just like her mother. Both Marina and her mother share a rare condition in which they have visions; Marina sees the future and her mother sees the past. One evening Sveta never returns home and it is because she became obsessed with sharing a Soviet Union secret that was revealed to her in one of her visions so she had to be locked away. To stay safe Marina and her father move from the Soviet Union to Brooklyn, New York at the end of the year 1982. In New York Marina feels like a traitor for leaving her home country and has to become a spy to protect the people she cares about from the Russian mafia.

Elizabeth Kiem fills the novel Dancer Daughter Traitor Spy with in-depth character descriptions, an action filled story line, beautiful similes, and aspects of Russian Culture. Anyone interested in learning about what life was like for Russian immigrants during the late 1900s should read this novel that will be available to the public in August 2013.