Stronger by Jeff Bauman | Teen Ink

Stronger by Jeff Bauman

May 30, 2018
By Brady9191 BRONZE, Saranac Lake, New York
Brady9191 BRONZE, Saranac Lake, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 With a book like stronger, it’s like you know where to begin and at the same time you don’t. There is really no way to “sugarcoat” what happened, Jeff Bauman lost his legs in the boston marathon bombing of 2013.
   Jeff was just a twenty-seven year old guy when the bomb went off, Jeff was at the finish line that day to support his “on and off” girlfriend Erin. Erin was running the marathon for a local charity in Boston.
   Jeff had many support and became somewhat  “popular”, Jeff was saved by
His girlfriend Erin, His mother, Kevin (heavy kevy) and The person who saved jeff’s life, Carlos Arredondo. If it wasn't for Carlos, Jeff would not be here today.
   One of my favorite quotes in this book is “Strength defines us” (this quote is also is in the movie stronger.) Some people take that quote for granted, but what “strength does Jeff really mean?, do you think the means how much you can bench?, No, the strength that jeff is talking about is where it’s a “fight” everyday, where it’s a struggle to walk, the strength jeff is talking about is really mental strength. Some people give up, some people like Jeff put up a fight, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar didn’t win.
    The paragraph that brings this book to life right away is on the first page and the first sentence. “ I knew exactly when my life changed, it was 2:48 pm , April 15th and the most high profile terrorist on was on United states soil since 9/11, and the was standing right beside me.” Dzhokhar and Tamerlan Tsarnaev decided to make a bad choice on april 15th, “Strength defines us.”
   The book stronger was a great book to read for me, it sends a very strong message with a tragedy, but in this world today, tragedies are happening everyday, for example, Parkland high school shooting, indiana school shooting… There has been 8 school shootings in the last 2 months. But stronger explains and shows how jeff deals with the adversity, diversity and a little bit of perseverance. “Strength defines us.”          


 


The author's comments:

I read this book in ELA class for a adversitity/diveristity topic. Stronger was a great book, I hope people will take the time to reallly understand what it's like to go through a tradgedy. I give the Book Stronger a definite 10/10.