One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus | Teen Ink

One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

May 25, 2018
By jamiekeene BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
jamiekeene BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Bronwyn; the straight A student, Nate; the rebel and druggie, Cooper; the all-star athlete and Addy; the popular girl, all end up in detention together unexpectedly and suspiciously all for the same reason. Soon, a fifth student arrives to the scene, Simon; the outcast and rumor spreader. He’s known for his gossip site “About That”, where he posts any secret he can possibly uncover about the students of Bayview High and potentially ruin their high school career. Before too long, paramedics arrive to the detention room where Simon has suddenly died, leaving the other four students as suspects to his death. The catch is, Bronwyn, Nate, Cooper, and Addy all have intense secrets Simon was close to releasing, which makes their case even worse. The four students are brought closer than they thought they would ever be as they work together to try and solve the murder mystery.


They make new friends, enemies, lovers. Trust is broken and people change for the better or for the worse. The author shows the reader that not everything is as it seems and that everyone has their own secrets. One of Us Is Lying is an intense and interesting novel that leaves you wanting to read more and more. It was a novel that I couldn’t tear my eyes away. The suspense of wanting to know all of the secret of the students is what made me want to keep on reading. If you’re the murder mystery type, but also love the drama and romance of highschool then this novel is for you. The several plot twists of this novel left me surprised every time. In this novel, not everything is as it seems.


There are many different twists and turns in this eye-catching and thrilling novel. Indulge yourself in the murder mystery of One of Us Is Lying and learn all the secrets of the Bayview High students. But most importantly, figure out the underlying question, who killed Simon?