A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro | Teen Ink

A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

May 16, 2018
By beells50 SILVER, Rolla, Missouri
beells50 SILVER, Rolla, Missouri
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Jamie’s new boarding school is nice and all, until the boy down the hall is murdered, that’s when things get interesting.  Did I mention that Jamie’s last name is Watson?  Oh, and there’s a Holmes on campus, too.  And the only bad part about the situation is that James Watson and Charlotte Holmes are being accused of murder.  Let the games begin.
 

In traditional Sherlock Holmes stories, Sherlock is the “main man” and Dr. Watson is his “sidekick.”  A Study in Charlotte follows the same premise, with Charlotte investigating the murder of Lee Dobson and Jamie narrating the suspenseful thriller.  Cavallaro does a fantastic job of making the characters her own though and creating an original dynamic between Watson and Holmes, while still alluding to the classic Sherlock Holmes.  Dobson’s murder echos “The Adventure of the Speckled Band” with the milk and whistle on the bedside table and the snake bite in the leg.  There are also references to “The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle” and “The Adventure of the Dying Detective.”


Charlotte teaches Jamie, and readers, a lot about detective work and forensic science.  For example, don’t start with who? what? and why? but rather when? where? and how?  Jamie also develops Charlotte’s character.  He helps her overcome her trauma and understand that while she is grown up, she doesn’t have to hold the weight of the world on her shoulders.


One of the central themes in A Study in Charlotte is the fear of loneliness.  Even though the book is written in Jamie’s point of view, Cavallaro does a great job of convincing readers to empathize with Charlotte.  She had a hard time growing up, always expected to conform to Sherlock’s legacy.  This backstory helped Jamie and readers understand why Charlotte turned to drugs to escape the reality that was too painful for her to face.


Cavallaro’s detailed visuals and descriptions were an essential part of this novel.  Cavallaro also does a fabulous job developing Jamie’s character’s thoughts and feelings which helped to add depth to the book.  The dialogue wonderfully relayed the character’s feelings and relationships with other characters.


The first taste of Jamie and Charlotte’s newfound partnership definitely sets the tone for the rest of the novel: “I didn’t run into her.  I’m not that clumsy.  But we both froze and began doing that awful left-right-you-go-first shuffle.  I stuck out my hand.  ‘Sorry, I don’t think we’ve met.  I’m James.  I’m new here.’


She looked down, eyebrows knitted.  She had on slim navy pants instead of the pleated skirt most of the girls wore.  Her white oxford shirt was buttoned up to her neck and her ribbon tie looked as if it’d been steamed.  I was close enough to tell that she smelled like soap, not perfume, and that her face was as bare as if she’d just washed it.


‘I’m Holmes,’ she said finally, in that marvelous, ragged voice.  ‘But you knew that already, didn’t you.’”             -pg. 8, A Study in Charlotte


This introduction of the narrative voice and primary secondary character sets the mood for a lovely “let’s keep this professional, even though we don’t want to” dynamic between Charlotte and Jamie.


I would highly suggest reading A Study in Charlotte if you like thrillers or mysteries, or if you’ve read The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes.  This book will leave you thinking for days after you finish the last page.