The Resurrecting | Teen Ink

The Resurrecting

By hannahle BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
hannahle BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

Resurrection is possible through the power of love because of how much it can change people. In Tale of Two Cities, Charles Dickens creates two themes which connects with many characters in the story. The power of love has recalled many characters in the book back to life. Sydney gives up his life for the girl he loves so that she could have a life that she loves. The novel is about the lives of people in France and England during the revolution, where the many characters go through many changes. Sydney says that he will sacrifice anything for Lucie.  The lives of all Dr. Manette, Charles Darnay, and Sydney Carton go through change when the power of love recalls them back to life.

Dr. Manette is recalled to life when Lucie cares and loves for him when he gets out of prison. When Dr. Manette is in solitary confinement for eighteen years, he does not remember his  family or his name, and the only think he could do is make shoes to keep himself occupied. He lost his personality and remembers his name by 105 North Tower(13). However, Lucie’s love brings Dr. Manette back to life: “ But he has been found. He is alive. Greatly changed, it is too probable; almost a wreck, it is probable, still alive. You, to youstore him to life, love, duty, rest, comfort  (24).” Lucie is the light that brings him back to life. She restores him to the old life he had before he was in prison. Dr. Manette changes to his old self by Lucie’s love and compassion for him.

Charles Darnay is recalled to life when he is put in jail and is about to be killed. Charles will be imprisoned: “In such risings of fire and risings of sea three years of tempest were consumed (267).” Charles gets arrested in France and is put in solitary confinement, just like how Dr. Manette is in prison (293). Charles is recalled to life when Sydney Carton takes his place in prison. He is given a second chance at life with his family. Bcause of Sydney’s love for lucie, Charles has another opportunity at life.

Sydney Carton is recalled to life when he is dying for Lucie. Sydney is recalled back to life because he thinks that his life is a waste and it is too late for him to do anything about it: “No man ever really loved a woman, lost her and knew her with a blameless though an unchanged mind, when she was a wife and a mother.” Carton loves Lucie enough that he will sacrifice his own life for the person he loves. Carton is recalled to life when he gives up his life for the one he loves (393). He takes Darnay’s spot in prison to give the one he loves a life with Charles. He is now at peace with himself and with everyone. Because of his great love for Lucie, he is recalled back to life through his own death.

The power of love is strong enough to recall three characters back to life: of Dr. Manette, Charles Darnay, and Sydney Carton. Dr Manette is recalled back to life because of Lucie’s love and compassion for him. Charles Darnay is recalled back to life because of Sydney Carton’s sacrifice to have another opportunity at life. Sydney Carton is recalled back to life when he dies for the one he loves so that she could have a life she loves. Love is so powerful that it can do amazing things, such as recalling many people back to life