Newt In Maze Runner: A Pointless Character by James Dashner

Newt in Maze Runner is often seen as an adorable character with fangirling potential. Yet, everything that makes him 'cute' is unoriginal, boring, and already fulfilled.

His dramatic backstory doesn't make him special or interesting. All other characters went through similar events. This is only mentioned because he has a dirty mouth and a limb.  Even his dramatic death feels pointless. Teresa or Minho could have served the same purpose.

An argument might be that since he is the ‘glue’ of the group, he is thus necessary to the group. No, just no. Minho could've replaced Newt as the glue since Minho's leader status makes no sense. Thomas is much more of the leader.  Newt and the rest of the group aren't even that good of friends, especially compared to Chuck or Minho. It would've been easier to wait to kill off Chuck till later as the un-immune. Imagine how depressing it would be to see a young boy screaming 'kill me'.

Newt not having a job makes sense, as he lacks any purpose. His suicide attempt makes no statement. His friendship with Thomas isn’t special unless we count being nice as a lesson we haven’t learned. His immunity might be some sort of a point, but it has no commentary on the actual world. Even his fake cuss words make no statement.

In conclusion, Newt is a pointless, purposeless character. He should be replaced and erased. It isn’t even like the lovely reprise of a song; it ’s repeating the same song in a weaker fashion.