The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls by Samantha A.

I would not recommend The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls to a friend or reread it. It was not as good as it sounds. It's about Victoria took Lawrence on as a pity project. He was as far from perfect as someone could get and she loved perfection. Then she saw that people in her town were acting weird. The had perfectly odd-looking similes. Lawerance's parents had them that then Lawerance disappeared but they said he was away. Eventually she goes on a wild goose chase to find him, sees lots of bugs, makes a new friend and, goes to the place that the book is named after then after all of this almost gets killed by Mrs. Cavendish.

It was somewhat engaging because of the few cliff hangers. The book is actually very predictable and the vocab is under level for a seventh grader. The dust jacket suggests that anyone over ten will like it but I think only kids nine to eleven even might enjoy it with its little hints of creepiness. One thing I think the author did extremely well is mentioning that Victoria is taking French in school. The author mixes in a few French verbs but there aren't enough for them to fit in with the story all the way, although I like that she conjugates them all properly. The characters are mainly realistic up until Vicky meets Mrs. Cavendish. It's like the author wanted to write a realistic fiction novel and then changed it to a fantasy half way through. Over all I do not suggest for anyone to read the Cavendish home for boys and girls because it's vocab is under level, it isn't very engaging and, it's slow to read.