Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff | Teen Ink

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

By martinez.nallyve BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
martinez.nallyve BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

The book I read was “Pictures of Hollis Woods” by Patricia Reilly Giff. This book is about a young teenage foster girl, that loves to sketch pictures as her adventures go, she explores many different families and has a hard time picking between two she’s been with. Something I really found outstanding was that the author gave such good sensory language throughout the book. While reading this book, I didn’t have one moment where I didn’t get an image in my head. Characterization in this book is very strong, a good example from the book was “I couldn’t take my eyes off her. I could feel a pencil in my hand, moving across the paper, drawing her face, her eyes, the knife”(Woods 8). I would highly recommend this book to both young teenagers,and foster kids. The way the author uses figurative language,and sensory language in the book helps give the reader an idea of how Hollis’s life was, and how the reader can relate to it. A quote that I personally liked, was “‘I sighed. It was my fault, I messed up the family”(Woods 158). Most teens and foster kids can relate to this, since every once in awhile they think they messed everything up, like Hollis, in the book she thinks that she has ruined everything, trying to provide herself with a family, but also wanting to help others. I myself, can make this a connection since everyone makes mistakes, and feel like you messed everything up, but it just takes someone to encourage you. After all, I didn’t find anything wrong with the book, this book is very relatable and deeply thought out.