Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan | Teen Ink

Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan

By nguye345050 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
nguye345050 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

“Counting by 7s” by Holly Goldberg Sloan, tells a story about a girl just entering middle school named Willow Chance, and her journey on finding herself and her loves ones. My favorite quote in the novel is, “If you’re lost, you might need to swim against the tide”(Sloan cover). In the novel, Willow starts middle school and has problems fitting in, but she stays true to herself. It inspires us to empower our differences; we are all unique in our own different ways.

I think the characterization in the novel is strong. Each character has a unique characteristics that make the characters interesting and enjoyable to read. For example, the main character, Willow Chance, has a tragic background. Throughout the novel, Willow evolves and develops a new perspective on life, despite her tragedy, she finds new ways to cope with them. In result, she meets some new people along the way that she will forever hold dearly. “The Old Me would have screamed from the crash. The New Me expects these kinds of things”(Sloan 205). The following quote was during the time she has just gotten over the past and has accepted it. It shows the shifted in her mindset, and that she know that too.

I would recommend this novel to anybody who is looking for a lighthearted, simple read to enjoy on their down time. The novel is very easy to follow, but there are some twists and turns, which makes the book more of a thrill to read. The novel is very relatable, since the story takes place today in our modern world and the story is told in one character’s viewpoint.