The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey | Teen Ink

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey

August 7, 2017
By Aspiring-Author-Katie BRONZE, Pearl River, New York
Aspiring-Author-Katie BRONZE, Pearl River, New York
3 articles 4 photos 0 comments

I purchased this book completely by chance at the library, and I am very glad I did. Sean Covey, author of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, successfully communicates the art of thriving during the teenage years through funny graphics, anecdotes shared by real teens, and lists of “baby steps,” to put each habit into action. This book really made me think; along the way I was laughing, crying, even singing, but most importantly, I was learning. I strongly recommend purchasing a copy of this book rather than checking it out from the library; this is a book about inspiration, and if you want to feel inspired every time you open it, then you are going to want to highlight the quotes that spoke to you, star the stories that opened your eyes, doodle a smiley face next to the suggestions that worked for you, so that way in a few days, weeks, months or years, you will be able to see just how far you have come. This book is written for teens of all ages, 13-19, so there is no set age when you have to read it; while some students will be ready to delve into it on their thirteenth birthdays, others may not be ready until their first year of college, and that’s okay! I remember reading excerpts from this book in class in the seventh grade, and although I was an intelligent middle school student dealing with my own school-related stress and anxiety, I did not yet have the mental capacity to truly grasp the meaning of this book. This summer however, as an ambitious yet anxious high school senior, I was in desperate need of some teen-friendly wisdom. After reading the first two pages of this book, I knew that it was the right time for me to read it; do not try to force it. This book in some respects is comparable to a “how-to” book, in the sense that you really have to concentrate on the habits one at time to get the long term result of success. I personally found that I got more out of each habit when I read one each day, rather than read for a couple of hours straight because I had time to really think about the different perspectives and apply the suggestions to my own life when the reading was spaced out. At the end of the book there is even a list of recommended titles for teens to read to continue on their path to success, as well as websites and phone numbers to turn to if you realize you may need more personal help than the book may provide. Overall I feel that this is a very important book to read for anyone; my parents were even learning from some of the strategies I suggested! I recently requested The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Workbook from my library, which I am hoping will be just as helpful.


The author's comments:

The Seven Habits:

1. Be Proactive.

2. Begin with the end in mind.

3. Put first things first.

4. Think win-win.

5. Seek first to understand, then be understood.

6. Synergize.

7. Sharpen the saw.