See How They Run (Embassy Row #2) by Ally Carter | Teen Ink

See How They Run (Embassy Row #2) by Ally Carter

July 25, 2017
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


Grace has been told for more than half her life that she was crazy. Her mother’s death that she witnesses was an accident, there was no scarred man, and there was nothing she could do to change what had happened. But Grace knew they were wrong. With the help of her friends Noah, Megan and Rosie, she managed to discover that the scarred man was Dominic, the first love of her mother, who was there to kill her mother, but chose instead to stage her death. Grace came down just as Dominic was taking the picture, and picked up the gun that was lying on the floor. Firing blinding, she missed Dominic and shot her mother instead. The traumatic moment of shooting her mother was blocked from Grace’s mind as it was unable to handle what she did. Her family tries to protect her from this, saying it was an accident, trying to get Grace to stop pushing. When pushing too hard, Grace discovers the truth of what happened that night, and what she did, and with the past reveal, the nightmares do not stop coming, forcing Grace back into her insanity, with what she did this time.

Jamie Blakely was a young cadet at West Point, the golden boy of the family, the one that will grow up to be like their father. For Grace, he was simply her brother: “This is my big brother, the boy who slayed all my monsters”. But how well would he be against her monsters, if she was the monster. Racked with guilt for killing their mother, Grace can barely face Jamie, let alone to let him feel pity for her. When her brother’s friend John Spencer body was found the morning after the party, the number one suspect is Alexei, who was video fighting him after John tried to kiss Grace. With threats being made on Alexei’s life she must hide him from the authorities, and from her brother who is out to find his friend's killer, even if the killer was his best friend since childhood. With this drama going on, Grace does not need any more, unfortunately drama is what she gets. Introducing the society, a group of women who are the decedents of the wives of Adria, a society that her mother was part of, and one Grace will be joining too. Something is off about the society, as they have secrets they are trying to hide. Whatever her mother was obese within the society, whatever she found was what got her killed. Driven as ever Grace has been willing to put her life on the line for that secrete, sacrificing all to find out the truth, even if that means her death.

Ally Carter second instalment in the series was a hit. Not as good as the first, See How They Run, features Grace Blakely, the slightly crazy girl that shot her mother. Grace’s character had no time to develop, as guilted by the past, she runs around in circles, not figuring anything out until someone comes and helps her. The trio of friends (Noah, Megan and Rosie) are helpful, but not as much as the last novel, due to Grace not letting them in, or allowing them to fully participate. Brother Jamie is in this, which Carter did a good job on, as he’s loving, and caring, like a big brother should be, and there as a support to Grace (if only she used him!). Finally, what a young adult novel without any love interest, as Carter brings back Alexie, but not letting Grace have a final decision on him yet. With a good plot, and a steady story line, this book might not stick out compare to Carter’s other novels, but it is defiantly worth the read, as the ending of this book will leave you speechless and yearning for what comes next.


The author's comments:

This is my big brother, the boy who slayed all my monsters