In the time of the butterflies

The book " In the time of Butterflies" is a book to describe how three  of four sisters got killed during the Trujillo regime. Patria is described  as a very religious character. Her strong belief in God and the Virgin Mary. Alvarez develops Patria's character by showing her strong belief in religion by using figurative language {Such as similes and personification}.

Alvarez develops Patria's character by describing her strong belief in religion. Firstly," My faith stirred it kicked and somersaulted in my belly coming alive." This technique shows how Alvarez personified Patria's religion. By saying how it "somersaulted" in her stomach meaning how Patria lost her religion but quickly regained it. Secondly," I turned around and saw the packed pews, hundreds of weary upturned faces as if I'd been facing the wrong way all my life." This technique proves that patria has noticed after a long time that she has not been facing the right way when it came to religion. The author's choice of words reveals that after a lot of doubting herself patria has
finally regained her faith.

Alvarez uses figurative language such as similes and personification to describe Patria's strong belief in religion. Firstly," No one had to tell me to believe in God or to love everything that lives. I did it automatically like a shoot inching its way towards light." This technique of a simile highlights that patria doesn't need anyone to tell her to be religious. By using a simile it reveals that the author includes this simile in order to express patria's deep belief In religion. Secondly," It came in the dark in the evil hours when the hands wake
with a life of their own." To further explain Alvarez personifies Patria's desire in religion by showing Patria's desire. To touch her body with her hands at night. To conclude Alvarez uses similes and personification in order to emphasize Patria's strong belief in religion.

To conclude in the book " In the time of the Butterflies" Alvarez
develops Patria's character by showing her strong belief in religion. Alvarez uses figurative language to describe Patria's strong belief in religon.