A Mango-Shaped Space

'From the moment I read a story by Wendy Mass I knew she was a writer to watch.'
-Judy Blume

I totally agree with the famous author. I never knew (or even heard) about synesthesia (pronounces sin-es-thee-ja) until I read this phenomenal book by Wendy Mass.

Eighth-grader Mia Winchell is a pretty normal kid. She likes hanging out with her best friend Jenna, listening to music, and cuddling with her pet cat, Mango. But at the same time, Mia is extremely different. Sounds, letters, and numbers have colors for her. For example, she might see your name as sky-blue with purple stripes.
After a horrible and embarrassing incident in the third grade, Mia classifies herself as a freak because she sees everything in color. And its getting her into trouble too. She's failing math!
As Mia embarks on a journey that will reveal who she is, and that her colors aren't bad, she meets a wide variety of interesting people. But in the midst of all this, Mia loses something that she loves the most.
I recommend you check out this book right now, because not only will you see through the perspective of a synesthete, you will read a touching story that leads straight to your heart.

ThisLitIsBananasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 12, 2010 at 4:30 pm:
I loved this book too! I especially loved it because it led me to discover that I, too, am a synesthete! Words and numbers (as well as music) have colour for me too, but unlike Mia, it's subtler - I don't see them right in front of me, I just see them in my mind.

purplegurl12345 replied...
May 15, 2010 at 6:59 pm :
That is so cool! I think it would be amazing to see things in color like that. 

ThisLitIsBananasThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 31, 2010 at 6:53 pm :
It is pretty cool :) But most people do have it to an extent...dig a little. I'm sure you are at least a little synesthetic! :)

tennisislovee34 said...
what is the book called?

penguin35 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I read this book and it was one of the best novels I ever read. I sobbed when I read the climax!

May 12, 2010 at 4:30 pm :
Me too! :(