You Can Negotiate Anything by Herb Cohen | Teen Ink

You Can Negotiate Anything by Herb Cohen

By JohnnyAppleseed BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
JohnnyAppleseed BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

Readers will feel a sense of self- satisfaction even while taking in the plaintive truth of the business world; where negotiations are an everyday occurrence in which only one can win, as they learn common yet unconventional tactics in You Can Negotiate Anything by Herb Cohen.

Despite the intense, power-driven jungle that the corporate (and educational) world is, readers will learn many of the unspoken rules of negotiation that will guarantee a win or better, a ‘win-win’ – it’s all good if you’re one of the ones who win! From the factors involved in a negotiation, to emotional play and style of negotiation, Cohen establishes an elaborate guide to help you be the winner in life.

Cohen is a master of both comedy and business, pairing humorous examples with serious insight into the antagonistic corporate world. The constant flow of vital information and his casual comedy will keep you following to the end, eager to gain a competitive edge over your peers in school. Like all things social, the tactics taught in the book are never mentioned; yet widely known by the experts. Exploring factors involved in modern psychology, Cohen explains how minute differences in approach could be the key in a successful negotiation. Although many of the examples are centered on the American working class and not on students, I can personally confirm that I’ve been enjoying the occasional benefit of a good negotiation.

Knowing the intelligent and proactive students that you all are, I highly recommend this book for its in-depth analysis and wonderful applications. It is definitely something to pick up next time you’re at your local library or bookstore.