The House On Mango Street Review | Teen Ink

The House On Mango Street Review

The House On Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros, is a good book. It's not like other books that i have read, but it's okay. The House On Mango Street is about a girl, Esperanza that feels like she doesn't belong anywhere. She doesn't even feel like she belongs in her own home. Esperanza is kind of a sad character throughout the whole novel. She doesn't even like her name. Her name, which defines her character. Which in English means hope, but in Spanish means too many letters, or sadness. That definition, is who she is, is how her personality is. Yet, she doesn't like it, and thinks she doesn't belong in her house. Her house which she says isn't a home. Esperanza then decides that she'll leave the home where she doesn't belong, but the one that she has promised to return to. Many kids tend to feel this way. LIke they don't belong, or that they don't like their name. Although, it's not how Esperanza expressed her feelings. She didn't tell anyone about h=the way she feels, she chose to keep it all in.

When I moved to a different place, and started at a new school, I didn't know anybody. I was shy, the new kid. But, eventually I made friends, and I felt like I belonged, with everyone else. That new place turned old, and everybody new everybody.