My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick | Teen Ink

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

By avery31100 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
avery31100 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

My Life Next Door, by Huntley Fitzpatrick, is a compelling story of one girl's struggle as a teenager. Samantha Reed, a shy reserved girl, sits outside her bedroom window ever since she was little watching the family next door. She watches the family grow and live over the years. Her neighbors, the Garretts, are a crazy and loving family. The summer before Samantha’s senior year she finally meets one of the Garrets and to her surprise falls deeply in love. Samantha’s senator mother is involved in a hit and run. Jase Garrett and Samantha’s love is put to the ultimate test when she finds out it was Mr. Garrett that her mother had hit.

Throughout the book the author uses great techniques to keep the reader wanting more. Fitzpatrick draws the reader in with the ongoing question of when Jase and Samantha will finally get together. They constantly get so close, but are stopped by something. This definitely kept me reading. I felt as though  I was living through the characters. I felt that Jase and Samantha’s relationship was so real and I was apart of  every twist and turn it took. When Jase and Samantha finally did get together I was ecstatic. I was so confused on how Fitzpatrick would possibly keep the book going and keep me interested. Although I had doubts, Fitzpatrick succeeded in keeping me drawn to the book. Just when I thought it was over another problem comes along that draws the reader in.

I highly recommend this book to everybody. It is an emotional roller coaster, but is an amazing and heart-warming story. It is an easy read and not too confusing to follow. Fitzpatrick did a great job at keeping it simple yet beautiful.Fitzpatrick created a love story between two unassuming characters and also tied in relevant issues in today's society. She addressed the issues of the importance of family. Through Grace Reed, Samantha’s mother, Fitzpatrick showed that sometimes you get so caught up in work and trying to succeed you forget the most important things in life, family. My Life Next Door is by far the best book I have ever read and I hope everyone gets the chance to read it.