Looking for Alaska by John Green | Teen Ink

Looking for Alaska by John Green

By vvandemark BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
vvandemark BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

John Green’s lively and pragmatic novel that holds the hearts of readers throughout, Looking for Alaska, has become a phenomenon. The intriguing adventures and relatable struggles draw in the reader from the first page. This book is structured differently than a “normal” book, being split into two parts: before and after. This setup sets the mood and tone for the book as the reader is suspicious about the inevitable “after”.

This novel follows a high school student named Miles as he transfers from his former high school to a boarding school. Never being apart of the popular crowd, Miles is shy and awkward and this makes his adjustment to a new school even harder. He soon meets his roommate and soon-to-be friend, the Colonel. The Colonel is a free spirit, a genius, and always has a comment about the situation. He soon meets Takumi, and then Alaska Young. The trio immediately takes Miles, who they rename Pudge because of his skinniness, under their wings and show him the ropes of the school. As soon as Pudge lays eyes on Alaska, he is falling madly in love with her. Not just because of her looks and rebellious nature, but because she shares the same passion as him. Pudge enjoys remembering the last lines that people ever say and divulging himself into literature, and Alaska loves to read. They bond over that connection and as much as Pudge values that time he gets to spend with her, they don’t go beyond being friendly (much to his dismay).

The group finds themselves trying to avoid trouble and stay clear of “the Eagle’s”, the dean of Culver Creek, wrath. Soon, as the reader nears the gloomy “after”, they begin to understand the realistic aspect of this book. Sex, smoking and drinking are common variables that these high school teenagers take a part in. After a shocking event unfolds that breaks the hearts of the students of Culver Creek, the group sets out on self discovery.

Some specific strengths that this book had was the way Green develops his characters, and how they grow with the help of each other. Real life problems impact them, and tragedy shapes them. The thing about tragedy is that it is bittersweet. It breaks your heart, makes you grieve, and question you life’s worth. But the thing that it does do, is it makes you stronger. The pain eventually fades no matter how much you think that it will stick with you forever, you learn from the pain. Pain becomes a part of you and it changes you, good or bad, you choose. That’s the thing about pain, you can let it either destroy you, or you can become stronger. The pain that Pudge and his friends endure during the second half of the book make them stronger and value the things that they cherish and hold dear to their heart, because life is short.

The only thing that could be considered a weakness in this novel, is the horrible event that occurs, and breaks the hearts of the characters, but the readers as well. Even though it was necessary to keep the plot moving, it was still harrowing. I highly recommend this book to readers of all ages as they embark on a journey that leaves them thinking. John Green has done it once more with his captivating plots and relatable characters, which makes this book an overall coming of age story.