Inkspell (Inkworld #2) by Cornelia Funke | Teen Ink

Inkspell (Inkworld #2) by Cornelia Funke

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

Meggie has everything she could ever want. Her father Mo, was safe and sound, her mother Resa is back in her life, and although she cannot speak, she spends almost every evening writing out her stories for Meggie. They all live together in Elinor’s big house, along with Darius, and the ones Mo read out from the shadow. Together they have everything, even Dustfinger who left with the book had Farid to look after him, and no one knows what happen to the Magpie and Basta. All was calm and peaceful in the world, well almost.

Meggie spent every waking moment thinking about the Inkworld. She had Resa’s stories classified into different notebooks from the creatures, people, places and stories. She could tell you anything about Inkworld, under Mo’s unhappy glares. Mo was happy to have his wife and daughter with him with no danger in sight, but was displeased when neither Meggie nor Elinor could leave the Inkworld alone. Every night he sees Resa telling Meggie and Elinor the wonders of Inkword, making Mo feel like they will only pay attention to him if he dressed like a blue fairy.

Dustfinger and Farid traveled the lands looking for another Silvertouge. They went from one fake to another trying to find someone to read Dustfinger and Farid back to the Inkworld. Yet finally they found a real one. Named Orpheus, he promised to read Dustfinger, and Farid, back into Inkworld. Yet Orpheus had another motive. He read Dustfinger back, but left Farid in the real world. Panic to be without Dustfinger, Farid took the book from Orpheus, and ran to the one person who would read him in, Meggie. Together he and Meggie would explore Inkworld together, fall in love, but more importantly find Dustfinger and save him from his written death.

Cornelia Funke did a great job writing this sequel to Inkheart. The story followed a new line takin us into Inkworld itself, where we still do not know the storyline of Fenoglio’s Inkheart, we learn about the world he wrote with some new characters (my favorite the Black Prince) as well as new villains, and returning ones. The characters were developing more as love between Resa and Mo continues to blossom, Dustfinger is returned with an old lover, and Meggie and Farid shares their first kiss. Their stories continue on with the third and final book Inkdeath, as we see Meggie, Mo, Resa and even more of our favorite characters in hope they get their own happily ever after.

Love is in the air, ad Inkworld is blooming right in front of your eyes.