The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

After a gruesome war the world divided into twelve districts, along with a capital. The Capitol controls all twelve districts making sure they stay in line. In the country called Panem located in North America near the Rockies.  Each district is in charge of one aspect to keep the Capitol running. District 2 provides military, peacekeepers are what they called, District 4 is fishing, Eleven is agriculture, and twelve is coal. Once a year to make sure the districts stay in line they host this tournament called The Hunger Games. A male and female tribute from ages 12 to 18 will be chosen to represent their district as they battle to the death in arenas located in Russia. The winner known as the Victor gets to spend their life living in fame and fortunate, until their next game comes around and they have to mentor their districts new tribute. With all that behind, let the 74th Hunger Games begin!

Katniss Everdeen, a sixteen girl from the Seam part of District 12. Her father died in a mine explosion, leaving her along with her mother and little sister Prime. With her mother acting like a ghost, it was up to Katniss to save her family. That is when she starts hunting. Going outside the district into the wood Katniss uses her father bow to shoot game. Soon she meets Gale, an older boy who, like her, uses the woods to hunt. They team up and together they keep their families fed. Yet there was no helping each other on reaping day. Reaping day was when they picked the tributes for the hunger games. When you are twelve your name is entered once, thirteen twice, so on and so forth until you're eighteen, your final year. Yet you can get rations. Oil and grain for your family in exchange for more names for the reaping. Katniss name is in their twenty times, where Gale’s name is in there forty-two times. Neither of them are picked. The male tribute is Peeta Mellark, and the female was Primrose Everdeen. A choice Katniss was less than pleased with. “Prim!’ The strangled cry comes out of my throat and my muscles begin to move again. ‘Prim!’ I don’t need to shove through the crowd. The other kids make way immediately allowing me a straight path to the stage. With one sweep of my arm, I push her behind me. ‘I volunteer!’ I gasped ‘I volunteer as tribute!” This was how Katniss responded to her little sister's name, which was only in there once, volunteering herself in Prim’s place. Soon Katniss and Peeta are whisked away to the Capitol, where the face everything from chariot rides in, interviews, training, in the hopes of getting sponsors, and finding the least painful way to die.

The world has not heard of Suzanna Collins until 2008 when she released the Hunger Games. This book took the world by storm, making it one of the most popular books in this decade. This book features Katniss, a badass girl who kick butt, takes names, but has a big heart when it comes to Prim, Gale, and now Peeta. Speaking of Peeta, the sweet baker boy, known as the boy with the bread, fell head over heels for a Katniss, the girl on fire. Even their drunken mentor Haymitch you give some love too, as he tries to help “sweetheart” into become a girl no one wants to mess with. “You’re not afraid of fire, are you, Katniss?” Was her designer, Cinna, line as he made her into the girl on fire. The writing was exceptional, making the book fast pace, tons of tunes, and how this cold hearted girl, actually has a lot to love, and carries her entire family on her shoulders. The hint of a love triangle appears, as Peeta loves Katniss, but her mind kept wandering to Gale, her friend, hunting partner, the boy who has always been there for her. Divided into three parts: The Tributes, The Game, The Victors, you see how Katniss, who promise Prim that she would try her hardest to win, battles it out in the 74th annual Hunger Games, hopping the odds would be in her favor.

The girl on fire meets the boy with the bread