Enchantment by Orson Scott Card | Teen Ink

Enchantment by Orson Scott Card

By secretsdarkened BRONZE, Midvale, Utah
secretsdarkened BRONZE, Midvale, Utah

We all know the story of Sleeping Beauty.  A princess is cursed to sleep for all eternity, and can only be saved by true love’s kiss. Enchantment, a story by Orson Scott Card, takes this story and mixes it with both history and our world today to create a story full of suspense, humor, adventure, and love. Enchantment follows Ivan, a Jewish boy who stumbles upon a princess in a forest, guarded by something ominous under the leaves. Many years later, he goes back to the princess, and is transported to a whole new world.
One of my favorite things about this book is the obvious amount of research put into it. Ivan’s knowledge of ancient languages, fairy tales, and history in general show just how much work was put into this book and adds an incredible amount of depth to the story. I especially love Ivan connecting things from actual events to the fables told by people. It helped show me how these fables were created, and really made me think about the past.
Card does a fantastic job with the plot of the story, as the intensity visibly increases while still keeping the reader informed. Also, the plot of the story has the basic elements of the traditional story of Sleeping Beauty, but not so much that you can predict what will happen to the characters. There is some profanity and graphic references, but it conveys the setting and helps readers get to know the characters better.
Enchantment is best fit for more mature young adults and adults with its language and writing style, which may be confusing for younger readers. I recommend it very highly for people in that age group searching for an immersive book that has an engaging ending.