Sold by Patricia McCormick | Teen Ink

Sold by Patricia McCormick

By Caramel_Apple SILVER, Yardley, Pennsylvania
Caramel_Apple SILVER, Yardley, Pennsylvania

Poor, alone, brave. When Lakshmi needed the most help in her life, all three of her dominant 'adjectives' kicked in. And when Lakshmi needed some help, no one gave her some. Sold by Patricia McCormick is the story of 13-year-old Lakshmi in the country of Nepal. She and her family are desperate for money, but they all know that no one is going to walk through the door of their thatched hut and hand them a check. Lakshmi's father doesn't believe in Lakshmi being a worker or even going to school, so even Lakshmi doesn't get to go and try to get money. When the ruthless Himalayan monsoons are about to wash away the weak roof, Lakshmi's step-father finally commands her to go to the city to become a maid.
Lakshmi haves mixed feelings about going to the city. For one thing, she can make money for the family and see the big city. On the other hand, she will be working away from her family, and she won't get to see them for a while. She finally goes with her heart, and she walks up the hill to the tea shop her step-father plays cards at and is accompanied to the city by an 'Auntie'.
But when the shocking surprise greets her in the city Lakshmi has a change of heart. More than anything she wants to escape the wrath of Mumtaz (the ruler of the 'Happiness House' where Lakshmi lives in now)and head back home. She feels like a prisoner, locked up in the room and surviving those many beatings. She feels that no one can hear her cries, and that no one understands her.
The shocker is'they do understand. The people that live with her in this house, like poor Pushpa with her hacking cough and children to tend. Somber Monica who has been there for a while. Shahanna, who is the kindest of the bunch. They understand what she has going on, and how badly Lakshmi wants to go home and see her family, explain what has been happening to her. Lakshmi doesn't feel that she will ever get out of the 'Happiness House' and doesn't have enough confidence in herself to believe that she will ever see her family again.
'Simply to endure is to triumph' Lakshmi learns and lives by the whole time away from home. Sold is a superior read for deep thinkers drama mamas.

I really liked this book and I think that it is a really good book if you like to read intense types of books. This book is a little disturbing so definitely think before you read this book.